Notepad++

This is the place to post requests for new applications or software. These can be software on shell servers, web applications, or other types of applications such as servers for protocols not presently supported.

Moderators: Nanook, carl

novatech

Notepad++

Postby novatech » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:41 pm

I use Notepad++ via FTP on another ISP account. Any chance Eskimo can offer this?

Nanook

Re: Notepad++ / Notepadqq

Postby Nanook » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 am

Notepad++ is Windows only, however after doing some research I found out two good things:

1) Others report that it does run under wine.
2) There is a Linux clone called notepadqq.

I will chase down notepadqq and get it installed.

Since Wine installed software is installed per-user, to use the Windows version you will need to install it in your wine directory here. To do this, connect with a graphical client such as X2Go, fire up Firefox, go to the Notepad++ site, and download and run installer.exe.

The Linux version, notepadqq, is presently installed on Ubuntu, Debian, Centos7, Scientific7, OpenSuse, and Fedora.

The libraries are too old on Shellx and Scientific to install notepadqq on those systems however notepad++ is known to run under the version of Wine that exists on those boxes so if you want to install and run the Windows version, you can do that.

There does not seem to be a version available for Mint Jessie yet.

novatech

Re: Notepad++

Postby novatech » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:16 am

What I had in mind was to run Notepad++ on my office windows computer and remotetly connect to files at Eskimo via FTP. Notepad++ has a plugin named nppFTP that facilitates this. On my other ISP it works to perfection. I edit files using Notepad++ on my office computer and when I save them in Notepad++ it automatically updates them on the ISP's server via FTP.

connierw

Postby connierw » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Novatech,

I have been using nppFTP to connect to Eskimo and it works great. Maybe check your profile settings. Here is what works for me:
Hostname: eskimo.com
Connection type: SFTP
Port: 22

~ Connie
Constancewohlford.com

Nanook

Postby Nanook » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

If you are using ftp and not sftp, the ftp server here is ftp.eskimo.com, not just eskimo.com. Sftp is a better option if you don't want the NSA archiving everything you transfer, or for that matter script kiddies that found a Cisco router somewhere with the default password unchanged.

novatech

Postby novatech » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks Connie, I am just now getting back to this forum. I will give Notepad++ a try with SFTP or FTP (not sure which I have used in the past.) Also, thanks nanook, I will try to use SFTP

Bob OBrien