Push vs pull question

Technical discussions, how to do geeky things more efficiently.

Moderators: Nanook, carl

csaether

Push vs pull question

Postby csaether » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 pm

This could be a real thick question, apologies in advance.

I have a monitoring device in my home and want to periodically upload information. The basic choices would seem to be either pushing from it to my eskimo account, or periodically pulling from it. What can I do from a standard shell account?

I am a bit vague on how hitting my public web site (eskimo.com/~user) gets routed to my public_html directory. Can I put up something that responds on another port and push to it if I want to run something like xmlrpc over http? Or just create a subdirectory and specify it in the URL? Scp or ftp could be alternatives.

If I want to write something that pulls from my device, can I simply create a crontab entry for myself? In that case my device has a simple web server that a wget command could hit, say. Or, again, some sort of custom http/xmlrpc protocol.

Thanks.

Nanook

Re: Push vs pull question

Postby Nanook » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:02 pm

I'll be honest, I don't understand enough about how xmprpc works to answer your question directly, hopefully someone else can. I do know that hackers widely attempt to abuse it in WordPress and for that reason I disable it on my WordPress installations.

Most of the weatherstations that are here use ftp to update their websites.

csaether

Postby csaether » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Belated thanks. Did not realize you had answered. The device I want to do this is broken and haven't gotten to diagnosing it yet before proceeding.

Nanook

Postby Nanook » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am

For what it's worth yes, now I know you can do that (as long as you haven't explicitly disabled it in your installation as I have), and you can also use ftp or scp, or sshfs for that matter. And with regards to running multiple Wordpress installation (as we do on our site), you don't need a separate database, just specify a different table prefix for each installation.