Spam Increase

Technical discussions, how to do geeky things more efficiently.

Moderators: Nanook, carl

alpinist

Spam Increase

Post by alpinist » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Wondering if there has been any changes to the system in regards to email filtering, spamassasin or otherwise. Just have noticed a huge significant increase in the amount of spam getting through to my inbox in the past several days.

Also I'm always happy to get new tips for handling spam. Something that we all work with on a regular basis.

Nanook
Posting Freak
Zodiac:

Re: Spam Increase

Post by Nanook » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:20 pm

I haven't made any changes except to close a back door they were getting in through the client rather than incoming server. I have noticed the recent increase as well. Obviously they have found some method of getting by existing filters but I have not figured out how yet. You can forward any spam to spamtrap@eskimo.com and that will help train the Bayesian filter. This is only one of many checks that try to stop this but it is one check that is locally adaptive. Spam assassin continuously pushes out new rules as well.

alpinist

Post by alpinist » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 pm

I have used spamtrap and hamtrap in the past and will have to remember to continue to do so. Was just wondering if something might have changed but sounds like spammers are just getting sneakier again.

Nanook
Posting Freak
Zodiac:

Post by Nanook » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Because all of the software used here is public domain, spammers can get it to, and what they do is load machines with all the spam rejecting tools, analyze them and find ways to fool them into thinking they are legitimate messages. Spamcop authors constantly adjust the rules to compensate but there are times when it takes them a while to figure out what is going on. In about two weeks a new release of Ubuntu will be out, and that usually means updated and more tools to deal with issues like this.

I don't know if you've ever seen robot chicken and phone spiders for the phone spammers, they need something akin to that, Internet spiders for the Internet spammers.

Abe
Mood:

Post by Abe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 am

In a old and grim voice "Steve, send the phone spiders!..." I know exactly what you're referring to. If there was just one closed source tool being utilized would that significantly help?

Nanook
Posting Freak
Zodiac:

Post by Nanook » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 am

To developers of spamassassin and other tools it may help. Me not so much since the spam filtering tools are all open source, nothing proprietary.