I removed a group that I didn’t realize was still in use and broke mail. The group has been put back in place.
This morning some website CGIs and potentially other active content refused to execute. This was caused by basically the same problem that affected the mail servers, idmapd not being properly configured and started. In the case of ftp it was configured but not enabled.
For reasons that escape me, somehow nfsv4 was able to usually resolve id’s even with idmapd not running prior to the upgrade the weekend before last, but since that upgrade it is now working as documented and requires this daemon to run properly.
It is now enabled on the webserver. This problem is resolved.