The 56k service had a work around installed May 10th, and it seemed to be working largely OK until today. Yesterday and earlier today we had a small number of complaints but not really above the background level that I've gotten with respect to modem connections since we started with a single line and 300 baud modem in 1982. However, this afternoon and evening things definitely got worse. I got the tech support people involved, and they in turn got the vendor involved and they did find several more software bugs. One involved modem firmware, and the other has to do with busy/idle status on the box. They were going to try to get a firmware fix in place tonight (which unfortunately probably will involve some reboots and cutoffs) and the other software fix should be ready by around tuesday/wednesday of this week. The work-around seems to have changed it from a situation were all the modems get marked busy when they are not in one night to where it takes about four days, so with any luck the reboot tonight might hold until the real fix is in place.