There have been severe reliability problems with Eskinews recently and I thought I'd take a moment to share the details for those of you who are wondering what is going on. We replaced the news server with newer hardware a while back after allegations from Sprint that our hardware was failing to respond causing the feed problems. There was no, absolutely no evidence at this end that that was the case, but for the sake of getting past this issue, and also because the old hardware ran very warm and churned out tremendous BTU's, I opted to replace it. The new hardware would not boot correctly with old 2.0.x versions of Linux which we previously had on that machine. The newer 2.2.x kernels, unforunately have some bugs on SMP machines that are causing instabilities. We are working with various developers on this issue, and gradually those problems are being resolved. The motherboard on the new machine has developed hardware problems causing ethernet errors, memory errors, and occasional SCSI errors. The outfit we bought it from had some spares in stock but they tested those and found them to be defective, so they are still trying to chase down working replacement hardware for us. So hardware problems are adding to the OS stability problems. Lastly, some hacker morons have discovered a buffer overflow exploits in innd. On systems where the admins are insane enough to run inn as root, this can be exploited to gain root access. (nothing here news related runs as root). But even on sites where this is not the case, the attempts still crash the inn daemon and corrupt some of it's support files, in particular the 'active' file. When they do this it becomes necessary to hand-edit the active file to fix the problem. This is fixed in recent releases of INN, but with the include files and libs we presently have on the machine, the new INN will not compile. It will probably be necessary to re-load this machine from scratch to correct this with the recent Redhat 6.0 release, however, before we get to this point I want to get the hardware problems resolved. After the machine is stable, we will add additional spool, and if a site survey works out, we'll get a satelite news feed to bypass the Sprint news probelms. I have determined that part of the problem with the feed from Sprint is related to saturation of our T1's in the outbound direction. Even though news is incoming, innd is very sensitive to latency and outbound saturation at times increases latency. We are going to install additional bandwidth to remedy this issue, but the real motivation here isn't the news as that will be moved to satelite anyway, but better interactive response and web response for people hosting web pages here. We don't want to introduce any bottlenecks at this end.