Further Host Problems...

     Last night we had to do an emergency kernel upgrade because root exploits
were discovered (and announced on an IRC list repleat with hackers) in the
Linux kernel.

     Some of the defaults, particularly the number of processes per user, were
not adequate for the proper operation of our main webserver.  This didn't cause
any apparent problems at the time because traffic was low, but this morning
when traffic picked up the web server became starved for resources and web
requests randomly failed.

     I have built a new kernel with values that provide adequate resources and
everything should be back to "normal" now.  It did require several reboots,
which didn't go cleanly and that interrupted other services for a short time
this morning.