Server Crash

     There was another crash of the main file server thursday evening
2004 Feb 26 at 23:38.  The server was restored to service 2004 Feb 27 at 00:38.

     I believe the stability problem may be related to a linux kernel exploit,
a fix for which just recently became available (it was posted to kernel.org on
Feb 24th at 19:11).

     I am compiling a new kernel with the necessary fixes now and will need to
reboot machines to load the new kernel tonight so various services will be down
for brief periods, the biggest will be when the main file server is rebooted
and that will take approximately 20 minutes.