Re: mail trouble

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Thomas Carey wrote:

> Gone for the weekend - I return home and can't get my mail.
> The error I get from Outlook Express 6 is:
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.eskimo.com',
> Server: 'pop3.eskimo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
> Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> any ideas?
> thanks
> tomca

     We were hit with a denial of service attack today.  A SYN flood aimed at
our name servers.  It overloaded the router, overloaded name servers, and
filled up a rate limit queue causing the initial SYN packet when connecting to
other services to be dropped.

     We were able to restore some functionality by rate limiting the name
servers seperately and by moving one of them to a more robust box that could
withstand the flood better.