[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Maintenance Outage 6/5/2004 midnight-2am...
- To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Maintenance Outage 6/5/2004 midnight-2am...
- From: Nanook <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- Newsgroups: lobby,announcements
- Resent-date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:55:23 -0700
- Resent-from: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resent-message-id: <YGZv7C.A.2vH.b3PwAB@ultra1.eskimo.com>
- Resent-sender: email@example.com
We are going to be taking the main file server shortly after midnight and a few other servers to do some hardware shuffling both to prepare machines for a move into a co-lo facility and to address some stability issues. I have found Linux to still be unstable on multiple CPU's. It's a lot better than it was several years ago, but still will get a crash every couple of months, where it will run virtually forever on a single CPU as long as there is power, no hardware failures, and no exhaustion of resources. Consequently we're taking two servers that are presently dual CPU machines and switching them back to single CPU boxes and putting new machines together using those CPUs. It is my desire to provide reliable uninterrupted service and this is a necessary step in that direction. Moving machines to a co-location facility is giving us access to a lot more bandwidth and on a backbone that so far appears to have a lot lower latency. This will give us the ability to host large busy websites and eliminate lag from interactive services such as shell access.
- Prev by Date: Re: Eskimo Very SLOW
- Next by Date: Maintenance Outage ~11pm 6/11/2004 - ~6am 6/12/2004 Server Move
- Previous by thread: Re: Eskimo Very SLOW
- Next by thread: Maintenance Outage ~11pm 6/11/2004 - ~6am 6/12/2004 Server Move