News

     News stopped processing this morning with a complaint about being unable
to link an article because the directory doesn't exist.

     I checked the directory, it does exist.  There are some errors that were
logged trying to access the directory even though I can manually cd to it fine.

     I suspect the file system has gotten corrupted, so I have stopped news
processing and am running first a bad blocks against it to find any bad disk
blocks and lock them out (these are older SCSI II drives, not newer SCSI III
that do this automatically) and then will run a normal file system check to
check for file system corruption.

     This will take a number of hours to complete, however, UUCP traffic will
not be affected as the machine is otherwise up except for news processing.