Web and FTP outage 12/18/2004

     We experienced an outage of web and ftp services between about 12:12 PM
and 13:40 PM pacific standard time today.

     The server didn't exactly crash, we could still ping it so it was running
to some degree and still had good network connectivity.  But applications
stopped responding and we were unable to communicate with it either remotely,
or after I drove to the co-location facility, locally.  There were no error
messages on the console.

     It was necessary to power cycle and run through the file system checks to
bring it back online.