News

     The news server stopped processing news the evening before last.  It
was caused by a bad block on the drive that innd, the daemon that processes
news, attempted to write to, after several retries innd paused.

     Yesterday I was able to lock out that bad block, had to run several passes
of fsck because the block was in a directory and that damaged the directory
structure.

     When it came back up it ran an automatic re-number that is supposed to
scan all the groups and update the active file, but for some reason it did not
complete properly and news failed again today when it tried to symlink an
article but couldn't because it already existed.

     So right now news is paused again and I'm running a manual renumber.
This should take about an hour.