Ultra1 - Compounded by Operator Stupidity....

     Ultra1 which is our main web server died about 7:30pm on October 21.
There was a kernel panic and the machine scribbled the partition table of the
disk rendering the machine unbootable.

     A partition table is a table on the disk that tells how the disk is
utilized, how it is divided up into various file systems, where they each start
and end, and it's loss makes it impossible to locate any data on the disk
requiring a full restoration from tape.

     Things that live on this machine that will be affected are mail lists and
databases, both of which will be in the state they were in on May 7th as I had
to restore from backups written on that date.

     I will post more details after I've had some sleep.