[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Ultra1 - Compounded by Operator Stupidity....
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Ultra1 - Compounded by Operator Stupidity....
- From: Nanook <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:09:11 -0700 (PDT)
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- Resent-date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:09:12 -0700
- Resent-from: email@example.com
- Resent-message-id: <B0wDYB.A.1AD.IFsUGB@ultra7.eskimo.com>
- Resent-sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ultra1 which is our main web server died about 7:30pm on October 21. There was a kernel panic and the machine scribbled the partition table of the disk rendering the machine unbootable. A partition table is a table on the disk that tells how the disk is utilized, how it is divided up into various file systems, where they each start and end, and it's loss makes it impossible to locate any data on the disk requiring a full restoration from tape. Things that live on this machine that will be affected are mail lists and databases, both of which will be in the state they were in on May 7th as I had to restore from backups written on that date. I will post more details after I've had some sleep. -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- Eskimo North Linux Friendly Internet Access, Shell Accounts, and Hosting. Knowledgable human assistance, not telephone trees or script readers. See our web site: http://www.eskimo.com/ (206) 812-0051 or (800) 246-6874.