Denial of Service Attack / Research Project Gone Wrong?

     Our web server appears to be under some sort of denial of service attack
from planetnet research companies at educational institutions all over the
world.

     It purports to be a research project but if that is the case they must be
researching whether or not they can kill the net because they are sending huge
bogus requests that appear to be aimed at buffer overflow exploits, at a rapid
rate.

     I am blocking these as fast as I can identify them but there are over
1,000 nodes in this research network.  I have e-mailed the e-mail contact they
give for this network but so far have received no response.