Web Server

     We've had a number of outages of various servers including IRC, Web, and
Mail, that have been caused by denial of services attacks.

     The outage this morning was one such case.  However, this time we were
lucky and were able to log the source of the packet as well as the type of
packet and take action to block this source.

     I will be doing further research to find ways we can harden our network
against this type of attack.  It seems to be a variation on the old ICMP smurf
attacks in which someone is trying to use us as an intermediary, but the packet
is malformed in such a way that it wasn't caught by firewall rules and caused
problems with the Linux kernel.