Re: Outages

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Nanook wrote:

>     The outages today around 5pm-7:30pm were caused by me.
>
>     I attempted a software upgrade on the main file server.  Unfortunately,
> it required a reboot and made changes to NFS (networked file system) that
> caused the other machines not to be able to communicate without a reboot.
> Owing to dependencies between machines and travel time to the co-lo facility,
> that took a bit.
>
>     I was unaware that the updates in question required a reboot, otherwise I
> would not have applied them at that time.

Part of this upgrade process seems to have also reset the permissions to
the incoming mail spool directory, causing users' incoming mail to be
read-only in some programs (able to access and read, but not delete when
using temp files, possibly affecting POP3 actions as well).  Permissions
were restored this morning, and seems to be working normally again.

~ Eric

support@eskimo.com     |   Voice help available 7am to 10:45pm Mon-Fri
PO Box 55816           |      and 11am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday
Seattle, WA 98155-0816 |          Fax us at - (206)812-0054