Subject: (Uncle) Andrew Gotschall/Gatchkill

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:57:59 -0500

Hi Folks-
I have been digging into our Uncle Andrew (Brother of Frederick, and
uncle to Old Andrew) and have put together some of what I have found.
My big question is "if this is the correct stone for our Uncle Andrew"
 how can we find out information on his tombstone in Red Rock
Cemetery, Lucerne Co., PA.  The bottom half of his stone has sunken
below ground level but what clearly is readable is "Andrew Gottschall"
and the word Died clearly underneath it.  You can find a picture of
the stone on Find A Grave.
I found no website
 or contact information for Red Rock Cemetery.

Notes I have made on Uncle Andrew:
Andrew Gottschall/Gatchkill, b. abt. 1705-Germany; d. abt. 1774 and
buried in Red Rock Cemetery, Luzerne Co., PA.

married 1745 Philadelphia Co., PA to Catherine E. Pancake, dau. of
Yost Pancake, Jr.
Catherine b. abt. 1731 Franconia Twp., Montgomery Co., PA,; d. about
1755 probably PA.

Timeline for Uncle Andrew:
1705-Born Germany
1742-Arrived in America-age 37
1745-Residence-Bucks Co., PA- Age 40
bef. 1749-Marriage-age 44
1752(?) - Birth of daughter, Maria Johanna, in PA-age 47
1753-Birth of daughter, Ester, Bucks Co., PA-age 48
1755-Birth of son- Daniel, PA- age 50
1755- Death of Katherine Elizabeth Pancake (1731-1755)-Age 50
1764-Deed in New Castle, Delaware
1770-October 15, 1770-Residence in New Castle, Delaware
Buried-Red Rock Cemetery, Luzerne Co., PA (date on stone underground).

Catherine Elizabeth Pancake married Andrew Gottschall/Gatchkill prior
to 1749 as she was named as his wife in a deed dated 1749.

>From History of Bedminster, Bucks Co., PA, 1976, by Bedminster
Bicentennial Committee- Pauline Cassell.  Harry C. Adams, Publisher,
Adams Apple Press, page 31:
MILLS:  In discussing the oldest mills of Bedminster.....
"However, there is another old mill- One I believe may be older than
1749.  We begin with two brothers, Andrew and Frederick Gatchkill
(Godshalk).  Andrew received a grant from Thomas and Richard Penn of
25 acres in 1743.  On that 25 acres, he built a grist mill.  Frederick
purchased twelve acres of land from Eleazor Doan (Doan received 217
acres from Thomas and Richard Penn) in 1738.  This purchase of
Godshalk from Doan took place in 1746.  On his 12 acres Frederick has
a mill pond.  These two lots were contingious and located on the
Tohickon Creek.  Between 1746 and 1749, Frederick Godshalk died and
left his 12 acre plot to his sister-in-law, Mary Anne.  In 1749 on May
30, Andrew sold his grist mill to his sister-in-law, Mary Anne
Godshalk,  and her partner, Yost Panakucka (Pancake).  On June 19,
1749, a month later,  Mary Anne Godshalk and Yost Panakucka (Pancake)
sold their grist mill and mill pond to John Trout.  On May 17, 1753,
John Trout sold the same mill to Jacob Stout.  This then, is the Jacob
Stout mill on the Tohickon, which has a road laid out to it from the
Durham Road."

I just wanted to share what I have found and don't profess this to be
gospel but it is a good start for us.  Please feel free to correct or
question what I have shared.  It makes sense why Daniel came to
Kentucky so young with HIS  Uncle Andrew.  I think Daniel's mother
died in 1755 possibly from childbirth or shortly within the year and
not knowing the situation with his father (who could have re-married),
he later came with Old Andrew to Woodford Co.,KY.
Feel free to comment.

Thanks,
Linda
from Kentucky

First (light) snow this morning.  I am so not ready for this!

---

From: Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:10:20 -0900

Thank you for keeping this puzzle alive, Linda.

I'm a bit confused and will have to revisit my notes, but if  Uncle Andrew 
married Catherine Pancake, then who was Mary Anne Gotshalk? You mention Old 
Frederick left some land to his sister-in-law, Mary Anne Gotschalk and her 
partner, Yost Pancake (likely he was a son-in-law?).

I recall that Old Fred had daughters who married men named Pancake and Trout/Crout.

Do we have the documents for Catherine's death?

If you found an Andrew Gottchall buried in Red Rock, Lucerne Co, PA, are you 
sure it is Uncle Andrew and not Andrew G jr?

I bet we can find someone who can help us with Red Rock cemetery records or who 
might go dig around the base of the stone. Wouldn't that be neat to find out 
what is on that stone?

Is there anyone on the Gudgel list who lives near there?

Dianne Gudgel-Holmes

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:22:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,
Thank you, Linda, for the information.
It agrees with my research. but a lot of mine still needs confirmation. My research is in "Gudgell Family Tree" In my sister's Ancestry account called SUGARHORSES

I have a timeline written by Mia Fleegel on Nov. 8, 2000, that shows a deed for 1/2 of 25 acres on Tohickon Creek given to Abraham Vastine dated March 17 1745. by Andrew Gotshall, yeoman, and  Catherine, his wife of Bucks County.The land having been patented to him by John Thomas and Richard Penn Jan. 26 1743. Both signing by mark. It was acknowledged by Andrew in 1753  and the signature of Catherine was proven in 1754.
Deed Book 9 Page 205 Bucks County PA.

This proves Catherine is Andrew's wife as early as 1745. Does the phrase "signature proven in 1754" mean Catherine was dead and couldn't acknowledge her own signature in 1754?
What do you think it means if anything?

Happy Hunting,
Vivian Gudgell

----- Original Message -----
From: Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
To: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>, gudgel-list <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:10:20 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: (Uncle) Andrew Gotschall/Gatchkill

Dianne Gudgel-Holmes