Subject: Andrew Gudshall/Gudgel and last wife- Elizabeth "Betsey" Jane Paul Payn(e).

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:07:50 -0500

Hi Folks-
A new year has begun and with the heavy snows I have some time to work
on genealogy
for a change..  I have always wondered about Elizabeth "Betsy" Jane
Paul, the last wife of Andrew Gudgel.

Word has it that she was a young widow with small children when they
married in 1793 in Woodford Co., KY.  The marriage bond says her name
is Betsey Payne.  Her maiden name is said to have been Paul and her
small children were by her first husband, a Mr. Payne.  At her
marriage to Andrew Gudshall/Gudgel  (marriage bond says Gudshall), she
was 30 and he was 66. ( A big difference in age but in those days
Andrew and Betsey both had children and it would work for both of
them).

My burning question is what happened to her children.  I have looked
at early marriages in Gibson Co., IN for any Payne marriages and I did
find one male and one female but was never able to attach them to
Betsey.  They were young enough they would have gone to Gibson Co., IN
with their mother and Andrew I would think.

I have even looked at the possibility that Elizabeth (Betsey) may have
had a Will at her death in 1823 but found none.

I have searched Ancestry.com to see if someone else may have been
searching for info on Elizabeth (Betsey) and did find some information
but have not verified it.  We all know about Public Trees on Ancestry
but at least it is a beginning point.

Some of the notes I made were that she was the daughter of George Paul
(b. KY 1738 and Martha Irvin/Irwin (1738 Fayette Co., PA-1802).  They
are said to have marr. 1762 in Fayette Co., PA.

Another clue was her father was John Payne (b. 1740 KY).If anyone has
anything that's credible about Elizabeth (Betseys)'s children or
documents about her death I would love to know about it.  I think I
wrote to Gibson Co., IN Clerk year's ago and they said they had no
Will for her.

Sorry for rambling on so long but I could use some help with this.
Best Wishes to all my Gudgel family for 2016.  Stay safe and healthy.
Linda
from Kentucky

Bad snow storm last week but we are coming out of it.  I read
somewhere we are about 51 days away from spring....too long to worry
about it right now!