Subject: Obituary: Richard Henry Crossfield, Sr. 1821-1908- husband of Martha Gudgel

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:34:34 -0400

Hi folks-
I am very slowly working on sorting out this genealogy research of Dr. Jim
Pope.  I had never seen this obituary from the local newspaper in Anderson
Co., KY so thought I would share this.  Richard Henry Crossfield, Sr. was
married to Martha Gudgel (d/o Elijah Gudgell & Lydia Ann Bell> grandaughter
of Jacob Gudgel and Drucilla Driskill> and great grandaughter of Andrew
Gudshall/Gudgel and Anna Barbara(y) Hoch).  Crossfield's were very
prominent in this family as Richard's brother, Woodford, married Amanda
Gudgel, a sister of Martha's.  So two Crossfield brother's married two
Gudgel sisters.  This was my connection to Dr. Pope.  Hope everyone is
well.  We are enjoying beautiful fall weather in KY....doesn't get any
better than this.
Linda

Obituary: The Anderson News, Lawrenceburg, KY March 17, 1908:

AGED CITIZEN DEAD

Mr. R. H. Crossfield, of the Fox Creek neighborhood, died at 12:20 a.m.
Sunday morning of pnuemonia. He was in his eighty-seventh year. His wife
had preceeded him in death by just one month and three days. Exposure at
the time of her funeral brought on an attack of pnuemonia and this coupled
with grief and the infirmities of old age no doubt hastened the end. No
citizen who ever lived in Anderson county, wa held in greater esteem than
he, and his life had been one of honor and uprightness. He united with the
Christian church and for years had been an honest and consistent worker in
the church at Fox Creek, often officiating at funerals and other Chritian
services. He has served his county in an official capacity, having been
elected several times to the office of Sheriff, once as County Judge and
once represented this county in the lower house of the General Assembly;
all of these places he filled with credit to himself and with honor to his
constituents. In his early manhood he married Miss Martha Gudgel, of this
county; to

them 10 children were born, three sons and seven daughters, of these on
son, Thos. Crossfield, of Oklahoma, Mrs. Alice Jones, of Lexington, Mrs.
Julia Ware, of Washington county, and Mrs. R.E. Thacker of this county, are
still living. His first wife died in 1858 and in 1860 he married Mrs.
Elizabeth Golden, of Lincoln county. To them three sons were born; W.H. and
C.K. Crossfield, prominent farmers and stock traders, of this county and
Rev. R.H. Crossfield, Jr., of Owenscoro, all of whom are living. His
funeral took place from the residence at two o'clock Monday afternoon. The
remains were interred in the family burying ground.