Subject: DVD not permanent

From: dg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 10:25:49 -0700

If you are making DVD's of your genealogy and historical material be aware
that the standard DVD's might go bad in as short a time as 3 or 4 years. I
am having to redo everything I have done up to now. Years of work down the
drain.  Some  original film and video tape is in very poor condition
already.  DVD's and CD's have been out long enough now that the longevity
 question  is definitely settled. There is a DVD made that it is claimed
will last for a hundred years.  Most of us wont care that far down the road
especially if you are 90 like I am.  It's gold plated of course and the
price reflects that. But I don't see any other solution if I want to keep
what I have. It's still a solution to put your archives on DVD but now it
will just cost  more. These DVD's are called Gold Archival DVD's. Depending
upon where and how many will run something over $2  each. DVD's will be  be
an ancient technology sometime down the road and possibly very soon. But
there will be a means of transferring to the new technology for a long time
so in the meantime putting your archives on gold DVD's is probably the best
solution at the present.

Doyal Gudgel Sr
-- 
*"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.*"  -* Plato *
(428-348)
Resuming occasional posting  of "Living with Dementia" How dementia is
devastating Kay's life and how I cope with
it.<http://seniorobserver.blogspot.com>

See the truth about Glaucoma. glaucomascams.blogspot.com  Save misery and
money.