Subject: Frederick Gotshall's will and land sales

From: Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 18:24:35 -0800

Here is an email from 2000 where Frederick's will is included.

Note that when there is mention of Andrew buying land with wife, Catherine, or 
selling it, it surely refers to Frederick's brother, not our Old Andrew (the son 
of Frederick). Keep in mind that young men didn't have the resources to buy land 
until they were older (Old Andrew was born in 1727).

See where Andrew's sisters and their husbands are named. Apparently Yost Pancake 
was a favorite son-in-law of Frederick's widow, Maria because he was involved in 
land transactions with her when Frederick died. Or maybe the other daughters had 
moved away or their mates weren't as responsible as Yost.

The name Kraut is also known as Trout and Crout.

Dianne

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Frederick/Andrew...More thoughts to ponder
Resent-Date: 	Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:53:57 -0800 (PST)
Resent-From: 	[email-masked]
Date: 	Wed, 8 Nov 2000 23:53:43 -0500 (EST)
From: 	Mia K. Fleegel <[email-masked]>
To: 	Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
CC: 	Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>, Gudgel List 
<[email-masked]>

The recent discussion has been very interesting.  Thank you everyone!

Since I returned from my little trip to Pennsylania I have been pouring
over the photocopies of the original documents I have of Andrew's various
land transactions and other clues. I have tried to put them in
chronological order to see if I could see anything I had missed. Tonight I
think I might be on to something! I usually don't look very closely at the
mark of illiterate ancestors but I have been struck by the fact that
Andrew used a captial" A" for his mark. Tonight for the first time I
noticed that the Andrew of Bucks Co and the Andrew of Fayette County all
signed the mark THE SAME WAY as a capital A !!! I have several deeds of
sale from both counties and he ALWAYS signs with a capital "A"! Do any of
you have his mark in Kentucky or Gibson Co., IN?

I also took a hard look at the chronology below and I cannot find any
discrepancies in it. What do you all think? I think Bucks Co. Andrew is
our man! Do you have anything to add to the Bucks County Chronology? Do
any of you have "proof" Andrew was in Chester Co., PA?

I also took a good hard look at the CROUT/STOUT/TROUT names. It is
definitely "Johann CROUT" in the will.  It also really looks like "John
Trout" in the deeds. I still think they are the same person. If we could
find where he sold the land or wrote a will we might know the answer. If
he anglicized the Johann many he "anglicized" the "Crout" The deeds are
also very bad copies so it might say "CROUT". In the same time period
"Yoast Pfannekucken" was also spelled "Yost Panncak".

I thought the piece about the mills was very interesting.  The historian
could have gotten all of the information on the family from the deeds and
might have thought Andrew and Frederick were brothers. I still think they
were father and son but the other info about the mills being next to each
other sounds right.

Mia
**************************************************************************************
1727 Andrew Gudgel born in Germany and later immigrates to Pennsylvania.
[From tombstone and letter from L.W. Gudgel dated May 30th, 1893]

January 28, 1743 [Andrew purchases 25 acres of land on Tohichon Creek]
Patent Book A, vol.12, p.44 Andrew GATSCHAL of the county of Bucks,
Yeoman, purchased from John Hutchinson, by Patent, 25 acres of land on
Tohickon Creek for L3, 17s, 6d. Described as starting at a marked hickory
by the side of the creek, by vacant land to a corner, to another corner by
John Hutchinson, by Thomas Lancaster's to a marked Elm Tree by the side of
the creek along the creek to the beginning.  [No mention of a mill.]

March 17, 1745  [Andrew conveys a moiety or half interest in a grist mill
on Tohicon Creek to Abraham Vastine]
Deed Book 9, Page 205. Bucks Co., PA
Andrew GOTSHALL, Yeoman & Catherine, his wife, of Bucks Co. conveyed to
Abraham Vastine of Hilltown a one half interest or Moiety in a grist mill
and 25 acres of land on Tohickon Creek where on GATSCHAL erected a grist
mill and other improvements.  The land having been patented to him by the
Proprietors, John, Thomas and Richard Penn, January 28, 1743.  Both Andrew
and Catharine signing by mark.  It was acknowledged by Andrew in 1753 and
the signature of Catharine was proven in 1754. I don't have a photocopy of
this one. Do any of you? did he sign with an "A"?

November 26, 1746 [Frederick purchased 12 acres and a partnership in a
mill with Abraham Vastine]
Deed Book 9, page 210
Eleasor Doan, Yeoman, of Bedminister, Bucks Co., PA sold to Frederick
GATCHILL, Yeoman, of Bedminister, Bucks Co., PA for L3 a piece of land on
Tohickan Creek in Bucks Co., PA one moiety or one full equal and undivided
half part of a piece of land containing 12 acres on which a mill pond
stands belongin to a mill lately Erected by Frederick Gatchill & Abraham
Vastine & Partners. Recorded July 16, 1754 Land is described as starting
at a stone post to a white oak tree, to a post, to a white oak sapling, to
a post , to a White oak Tree, to the beginning. It was land originally
part of 217 acres patented to Eleasor Doan on February 14, 1738.

December 7, 1748 written
March 29, 1749  Anna Mary appeared as executrix
Will Book I, Page 4, File 4
Will of Fredrick GODSTCHALK, Philadelphia Co., PA. Wife Annmary Godtschalk
receives the third part of  the Estate Both Real and after her Death it
shall be equally divided between five Children:
1. Agnes Panncak wife of Yost Panncak
2. Andrew Godtschalk, to have 30 more than the others
3. Mary Crout wife of Johan Crout  (Son-in-Law Johan Crout shall have
twenty five acres of Land out of my tract whereon he now Dwelleth)
4. Ann Alleback wife of  Christan Alleback
5. Elisabeth Myer wife of [unreadable] Myer.
Executors are Ann Mary Godtschalk & Yost Panncak.
[Note: Maybe Andrew gets more money than the rest because he is the
youngest and not yet received an inheritance. Maybe his youth is also why
he is not the Executor]

April 11, 1749 Andrew is naturalized by the Supreme court of Pa.  At the
time a resident of Franconia Township, Philadelphia Co., PA (Now
Montgomery County)  He owned land in Bucks County.[Note: If this is our
Andrew he would have been about 22 years old at this time and his father
would have been dead only a month.]

May 30, 1749 [Andrew & Katherine conveys a moiety or half interest in a
grist mill and 25 acres on Tohickon Creek to Ann Mary Gotshall & Yost
Panakucha]
Deed Book 9, page 211 Andrew signed his name by a mark. His mark is a
capital "A" ! Catherine's mark is "O".
Andrew GOTSHALL and Katherine, his wife, of Franconia Twp., Philadelpha
Co., PA conveyed to Yost Panakucha and Ann Mary Gotshall, also of
Franconia Twp., one full equal and undivided half part or moiety of 25
acres of land and a water grist mill on Tohickon Creek for 160. Recorded
July 17, 1754
  The 25 acres in Bedminister Twp. are the same that were granted by patent
to Andrew on January 28, 1743 described from a marked Hickory by Tohickan
Creek to the land of John Hutchinson, to a post by Thomas Lancaster, to a
marked elm by the side of the creek along the creek to the beginning.

June 19, 1749 [Ann Mary Gotshall & Yost Pannakucka sell the grist mill and
12 acres to John Trout?]
Deed Book 9, page 212-213
Yost Pannakucka, yeoman, and Ann Mary GOTSHALL of Franconia Twp. sell a
tract of 12 acres and a grist mill on the Tohickon for 79 to John Trout?
in order to pay Frederick Gotshall's legacy and debts.  Originally part of
what Eleazer Doan sold to Frederick Gotshall, deceased, on November 26,
1746.

June 19, 1749 [Anne Mary Gotshall & Yost Pannakucha sell 25 acres on
Tohickon Creek to John Stout?]
Deed Book 9, page 214
Yost Pannakucha and wife Agnes and Anne Mary GOTSHALL, widow, all of
Franconia Twp. sell to John Trout? 25 acres on Tohickon Creek. This is the
land originally patented to Andrew Gotshall recorded in Patent Book A;
Vol.12, page 44 and sold to Yost Pannakucha and Anne Mary Gottshall on May
30, 1749.

November 8, 1749 [Andrew purchases 159 acres in Bucks Co., PA from Thomas
Darrock]
Deed Book 22, page 12. Bucks Co., PA
Andrew GOTSHALL purchases 159 acres of land from Thomas Darrock of
Bedminster Twp., Bucks Co., PA.  The land is located on the line dividing
Hilltown and Bedmister Twp. just south of the Tohickon Reformed Church.
Recorded September 1785.

June 10, 1750
Daughter Maria Johanna born to Andrew GOTSCHALL and Catherine Elizabeth
and baptized on July 7, 1750 at the Tohickon Reformed Church, Bucks Co.,
PA. Sponsors are Yoast Pfannekucken and wife Maria Agnesia and daughter
Maria Johanna.

Dec. 18, 1752 [Andrew sells 159 acres in Bucks Co., PA to Benjamin
Lancaster]
Book 22, page 13-14. Bucks Co., PA Andrew signed his name by a mark. His
mark is a capital "A" ! Catherine's mark is "O".
Andrew GOTSHALL & wife Catharine of Hilltown, sell to Benjamin Lancaster
159 acres for 318.

April 28, 1753
Andrew GOTTSCHALL and wife, sponsors for daughter of John Krait and wife.
At the Tohickon Reformed Church in Bucks Co. PA.

May 7, 1753
Daughter Esther born to Andrew GOTTSCHAL and wife Catherine Elizabeth and
baptized June 3, 1753 at the Tohickon Reformed Church, Bucks Co., PA.
Sponsors are Henry Jeckel and wife.

November 17, 1756
Pennsylvania, [County unknown]
Bond drawn by and between Andrew Godshel, a carpenter and on Christopher
Truly, a wheelwright.
[from L.W. Gudgel letter dated May 30th, 1893]

>From the History of Bedminster, Bucks Co., PA, by the Bedminster.
Bicentennial Committee-Pauline Cassell (1976): page 31:

Mills

(In discussing the oldest Mills in the area):
"We begin with two brothers, Andrew and Frederick Gatchkil (Godshalk).

Andrew received a grant from Thomas and Richard Penn of 25 acres in 1743.
On that 25 acres, he built a grist mill.  Frederick purchased 12 acres of
land from Eleazor Doan (Doan received 217 acres from Thomas and Richard
Penn) in 1738.  This purchase of Godshalk from Doan took place in 1746.
On his twelve acres, Frederick has a millpond.  These two lots were
contingious and located on the Tohickon Creek.

Between 1746 and 1749 Frederick died and left his 12 acre plot with a
millpond to his wife, Mary Anne.

In 1749, on May 30, Andrew sold his grist mill to his sister-in-law, Mary
Ann Godshalk, and her partner, Yost Panakucka.

On June 19, 1749, a month later, Mary Ann Godshalk and Yost Panakucka sold
their grist mill and mill pond to John Trout".

1757
Terri Montigny found in the Uniontown, PA court house a primary source
document about one of Andrew's old debts. Apparently in 1757 he owed
someone money and the note clearly stated he was in Richland, Bucks Co,
PA. Richland Twp. is very near Franconia Twp. and Bedminster Twp.  She
also found where Andrew was owed money from someone and he turned the note
over to Andrew, Jr. who in turn turned it over to a Woodfill in KY.  She
said the name was spelled lots of different ways, but the Bucks Co note
was "GOTCHEL." Barbara was the wife's name in all cases where it was
given.) Do any of you have a copy of the original??? What does it say?
Terry, are you still with us?
*********************************************************************
Now, We don't have anything that I know of that shows where Andrew was
between 1757 and 1768 when he shows up as a squatter in Fayette Co., PA.
>From my reading about the history of that time I feel there is a strong
possibility that he went south into Maryland and/or Virginia before moving
back into PA. Do any of you have anything for this 11 year period? Of
course Catherine was suppose to have been born in Chester Co., PA and
Andrew Jr. in Baltimore, MD.....

Enough for now.

Mia