Subject: Gudgel Notes from Dr. James S. Pope- Columbia, MO- Page 6 of 6 corrected.

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:01:29 -0400

GUDGEL
FAMILY                         Page 6 of 6

                                         corrected

 From History of Gibson Co., Ind. by James T. Tartt & Co.,
 Edwardsville, ILL 1884.  pg. 60.  Copied by James S. Pope while at
 Newberry Library  24 April 1979.

 Andrew Gudgel, grandfather of the late Andrew Gudgel of Columbia
 Township, was a man whose career is worthy of record in this
 connection.  He was of German origin and settled in Pennsylvania.  He
 was thrice married and was the father of of seventeen children.  The
 maiden name of his last wife was Elizabeth Kane (Pane).  After the
 Revoluntionary War had ended, he, like many of his day, concluded to
 emigrate to the 'Far West", as this section was then styled.  So in
 1785 he set out with his family for Kentucky, a region then being
 wrestled from the savages by Daniel Boon and his heroic companions.
 After a tedious trip they arrived at Silver Creek, which was run by
 water power.  He operated this mill many years.  Owing to a defective
 land title in Kentucky he lost a farm of 600 acres on which the mill
 was located.  He came to Indiana territory in 1811, settling the big
 timber about two miles east of present Owensville.  Here he cleared a
 small patch of ground, built a log cabin and subsequently built a
 better house in which he later died.  While in Kentucky he through
 exposure, lost the use of his legs, but, with his great energy, he
 would chop and clear brush around his cabin for hours while setting in
 a chair.  The following incident shows his pluck:  During the Indian
 trouble of about that time, his family all went to Fort Branch for
 protection, where there was then a strong block-house erected for the
 settlers.  This plucky old pioneer would not go to the fort, but
 insisted on remaining or staying at home in his own cabin to take care
 of things.  The Indians frequently came to his place and would stroll
 into his cabin and while the old man was setting in his chair,
 fearless of danger, the wild savages would walk around him frequently
 patting him on the head and in their rude fashion, complimented him on
 his bravery.  It is one of the peculiarities of the Indian character
 to admire bravery in those whom they regard as their foes.  His last
 and third wife survived him a few years.  By his last marriage he had
 three children, Nancy, who married Mr. Teel and Hetty, became the wife
 of Harrison McGary.  Both Teel and McGary were old and prominent
 settlers in that part of the county and many of their descendants live
 there yet.  The only son by this last marriage was William Gudgel,
 father of the late Andrew Gudgel of Columbia Township.
                                            ____________________________

 From: History of Gibson Co., Ind., vol 2 (Indianapolis:  B.F. Bowen
 and Co.  Copied at Newberry's Library  24 April, 1979.

                                                         Harry B. Gudgel, M.D.

Harry B. Gudgel, M.D., was born in Hazelton, Gibson Co., Indiana
October 7, 1877, the son of John Franklin Gudgel, M.D., a native of
Gibson County, born in Columbia Township near Oakland City, January
29, 1849, and died October 4, 1901 and Cynthia Anna (Baldwin) Gudgel,
born in Gibson County.  The father of John Franklin Gudgel was Andrew
Gudgel, a native of Owensville, Indiana, while Andrew Gudgel's father
who was also named Andrew, came from Kentucky to Indiana in 1818 and
located in what is now Gibson County between Owensville and Fort
Branch.  Here he bought government land and engaged in farming.  He
was a man of excellent stock and unquestioned integrity.  The family
name was spelled "Goodshall", the change to the present mode of
spelling having been made many years ago.
                                           _______________________________

There are some problems in the above histories.  My own information
from Kentucky records indicate that Andrew (Sr.) lived on Glen's Creek
and not on Silver Creek.  Perhaps Andrew Gudgel stopped for a short
time at Silver Creek before coming to Glen's Creek.  More research is
needed to clear up the problem of why Harry B. does not mention the
ancestor Wm. T. and the date of 1818 which is after the time that
Andrew, (Sr.)  had died, (June 15, 1815).  ---JSO December 18, 1979.