Subject: Gudgel Notes from Dr. James S. Pope, Columbia, MO- Page 1 of 6

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:33:55 -0400

Notes On The Gudgel Family
                                        Page 1

The following comments are expressions of my own conclusions derived
from a mass of date that I've located in various public records, from
the research of others, and writing of other Gudgel descendants.  It
is hopes that these comments will help make the attached five pages of
material more understandable.

The first sheet "Our Driskill Lineage" was prepared some years ago
with the obvious interest in the Driskill family.  I've also included
it as a substitute for one that emphasized the Gudgel lineage.  This
sheet serves a purpose as it infers my own relationship to these
families mentioned and it's open for a great many of my cousins to
plug in their own immediate ancestors into this family.

Wyatt Shely's article in the Anderson News is very accurate in all
respects.  I visited Wyatt in June, 1975 at his home in Lawrenceburg,
Anderson Co., KY.  Our visit was short as my wife, Fannie, and I had a
previous engagement that evening in Harrodsburg.  Our discussion
concentrated on the Crossfield family of whom his wife was a member,
However, he did mention the Gudgel article and we compared some notes
on the family of Elijah Gudgel.  On the following day I went to the
University of Kentucky Library in Lexington and obtained a Xerox copy
of the article from the library holdings.  I am sorry to report that
Wyatt was then suffering from terminal cancer which caused his death
the next spring.  His articles were featured for many years in the
Anderson News.

The attached papers do not lend themselves to an orderly arrangement
that beings things to a focus in a logical manner.  Honestly, they
were not meant to establish the last word on the Gudgel family.   My
own interest had been pretty narrow and was concentrated in the
Kentucky counties of Anderson and Woodford, and I didn't expend much
energy outside of the time perioed 1790-1860.  Material from other
areas was acquired by chance rather than aggressive research (e.g.
while researching the Storms family in Jefferson Co., Indiana I found
that there were many Gudgel's also living there at an early date;
facts that I recorded but did not pursue).  This last year Iv'e become
more interested and just recently have tried to tie these data
together, at least to my own satisfaction which I realize may not
necessarily agree with ideas held by others.  What follows is an
exceedingly brief conclusion.

I have accfepted the information offered in the Bucks County
Historical Society letters to Miss Elizabeth Maddox of Clinton,
Illinois in 1926.  I conjecture that the senior Andrew Gotschall's
first wife, Catherine, had died before 1770 and that he remarried
before 1770.  I have no idea who the second wife was but I believe
they removed to Fayette Co., PA sometime during the Revolutionary War.
The son, Daniel Gutchel, was living there in 1790.  The son Jacob
Gudfel remained in Franklin Co. (Later Anderson Co., and the last
family by the third wife, Elizabeth Payne (Nee Paul), accompanied
Andrew to Gibson Co., IN where they were pionerrs in that area.  There
seems to be no record of the children by the first wife or second wife
accompanying them ti Gibson Co.  It is interestingft to note that the
Rev. Gabriel Woodfield performed the marriage ceremonies of Jacob and
Andrew, Dr. in Woodford Co.  Gabriekl and Daniel Woodfield, Jacob and
Henry Stucker, and John Gudgel are in Jefferson Co., IN by 1820.
Andrew, Jr. is found in Bath Co., KY by 1810.

The following children of Andrew Gudgel, Sr. are noted on the attachs.:
1.  Maria Johanna b. 1750
2.  Ester Mary b. 1758
3.  Daniel Gutchel (Fayette Co., PA)
4.  Jacob marr. Drusey Driskill 1791
5.  Andrew marr. Jane Mitchell 1792
6.  John marr. Jane Harbison 1804
7.  Abram marr. Elizabeth Harbison 1808
8.  Lydia marr. Henry Stucker 1796
9.  Sally marr. Jacob Stucker 1791
10. Mary marr. Michael Odar (Odom)
11. Elizabeth marr. Daniel Woodfoeld
12. Hannah marr. Jesse Musick 1801
13. William marr. Lucy Thurman 1824
14. Sophia marr. (?)
15. Nancy marr. William Teel
16. Hetty marr. Harrison McGary
17. (name unknown)