Subject: Gudgel Notes from Dr. James S. Pope-Columbia, MO

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 19:54:08 -0400

GUDGEL FAMILY
                        Page 6

>From History of Gibson Co., Ind. by James T. Tartt & Co.,
Edwardsville, ILL 1884.  pg. 60.  Copied by James S. Pope while at
Newberry Library  24 April 1979.

Andrew Gudgel, grandfather of the late Andrew Gudgel of Columbia
Township, was a man whose career is worthy of record in this
connection.  He was of German origin and settled in Pennsylvania.  He
was thrice married and was the father of of seventeen children.  The
maiden name of his last wife was Elizabeth Kane (Pane).  After the
Revoluntionary War had ended, he, like many of his day, concluded to
emigrate to the 'Far West", as this section was then styled.  So in
1785 he set out with his family for Kentucky, a region then being
wrestled from the savages by Daniel Boon and his heroic companions.
After a tedious trip they arrived at Silver Creek, which was run by
water power.  He operated this mill many years.  Owing to a defective
land title in Kentucky he lost a farm of 600 acres on which the mill
was located.  He came to Indiana territory in 1811, settling the big
timber about two miles east of present Owensville.  Here he cleared a
small patch of ground, built a log cabin and subsequently built a
better house in which he later died.  While in Kentucky he through
exposure, lost the use of his legs, but, with his great energy, he
would chop and clear brush around his cabin for hours while setting in
a chair.  The following incident shows his pluck:  During the Indian
trouble of about that time, his family all went to Fort Branch for
protection, where there was then a strong block-house erected for the
settlers.  This plucky old pioneer would not go to the fort, but
insisted on remaining or staying at home in his own cabin to take care
of things.  The Indians frequently came to his place and would stroll
into his cabin and while the old man was setting in his chair,
fearless of danger, the wild savages would walk around him frequently
patting him on the head and in their rude fashion, complimented him on
his bravery.  It is one of the peculiarities of the Indian character
to admire bravery in those whom they regard as their foes.  His last
and third wife survived him a few years.  By his last marriage he had
three children, Nancy, who married Mr. Teel and Hetty, became the wife
of Harrison McGary.  Both Teel and McGary were old and prominent
settlers in that part of the county and many of their descendants live
there yet.  The only son by this last marriage was William Gudgel,
father of the late Andrew Gudgel of Columbia Township.
                                           ____________________________

From: History of Gibson Co., Ind., vol 2 (Indianapolis:  B.F. Bowen
and Co.  Copied at Newberry's Library  24 April, 1979.

---

From: Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 18:50:56 -0800

Dear Cyber cousins,

Whenever I read the story in Tartt's Gibson Co, Ind history about the Indians 
patting Old Andrew on the head for HIS bravery, I have to remind folks that this 
is 'counting coup' and actually is an act of bravery by the Indian. He gets 
points for sealing the enemies horses, etc. Read a brief and limited version of 
this in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_coup

Dianne Gudgel-Holmwa

On 8/3/2014 3:54 PM, Linda Gudgel Finnell wrote:
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2014.0.4744 / Virus Database: 3986/7975 - Release Date: 08/03/14
>
>