Subject: Gudgel Notes from Dr. James S. Pope- Columbia, MO

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:04:19 -0400

Gudgel Family
                                    Page 4

This material was copied from a file held by the Kentucky Hist. Soc.
at Frankfort, KY in June, 1975.--By James S. Pope

In a letter dated June 10, 1895 from Levin W. Gudgel of Princeton,
Gibson Co., Ind this statement is made (Handwritten):

The Gudgel homestead two miles east of Owensville, Ind.  Andrew Gudgel
ancestor died August 16, 1815, aged 88 years.  His son, William and
Wife Lucy died and are buried in the same little cemetery in a corner
of the old homestead.

July 18,1895 there was a Gudgel Family Reunion held at Owensville,
Gibson Co., Ind. by a number residing in the vicinity.  An invitation
was forwarded to the Gudgel's in Kentucky but no one attended........
The farm was then owned by Squire Abraham Gudgel; it was on this farm
that Andrew and Elizabeth Jane Gudgel settled in the year 1811.  He
was born and raised in Germany, and emigrated to this country, and
settled first in Bucks county, then in the Province of Pennsylvania,
before and remained there until after the Revolutionary War was over
when he, with his third wife whose name was Paul, like many of that
day, concluded to emigrate to the then far west, beyond the Alleghenny
mountains.  So in the year of 1785 he set out with his family, by
ox-wagon for Kentucky., region then being wrested from the control of
the savages by Boone and his heroic companions.  After a tedious and
toilsome journey they arrived at their destination.
                                      **************************************

Andrew Gudgell (or many ways of spelling) was born in the Palatine,
Germany 1727; came to America (when not recorded in Rupp's Thirty
Thousand Names of Immigrants, 1927) but he settled in Bucks Co., Penn.
Died Aug 16th 1815 in Owensville, Gibson Co., Ind. and buried in the
corner cemetery of his homestead.  He married his third wife,
Elizabeth Paul Payne *Paine, Pane) on 3rd Oct. 1793.  She died Dec. 2,
1823, aged 60 years.
                                       ***************************************

The following material was copied from a file held by the Kentucky
Hist. Society at Frankfort, KY on 11 June, 1978.--by James S. Pope

                       Copy of the will of Andrew Gudgel (Gudshall), Sr.
I Andrew Gudshall of the county of Knox, Indiana Territory, being weak
of body, but sound of mind calling to mind the mortality of man do
make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form,
viz.

First- I lend (and give the use) of all the property, house, hall and
Kitchen furniture, farming tools and together with the land on which I
now live and _______ thereto belonging to my wife Elizabeth during her
life, for her use and maintenance.

Secondly-at the death of my said wife Elizabeth Gudshall I will and
devise the land whereon I now live, being sixty-five acres adjoining
Robert McGary on the south to my son William Gudshall and his heirs
forever.

Thirdly- it is my will and desire that all of my property of all kind,
stock of horses, cattle, and all kinds which may belong to my estate,
house, and kitchen furniture, tools should be equally divided between
my children, Sophia, Nancy and Hetty, to be divided by persons chosen
by my Executors hereafter mentioned, by valuation so as to superceed
the use of a sale, to them and their heirs forever.

Forthly- it is my will and desire that my children not mentioned in
this will should have and legally be entitled the portion which I have
already given them and no more.

Fifthly- it is my will and desire that my wife Elizabeth Gudshall
should act as Executrux to this my last will and testament
disannulling every other will whatever.

In witness where of I have hereunto set my hand and seal this first
day of January 1812.

  Andrew Gudshall

                                                    Page 5
(the will continues)
Test: James Smith
          Robert McGary

Proven in open Court and ordered recorded. (Will Record "A", page 283)
                                       **************************************

On another place L.W. Gudgel refers to this grandmother Lucy Gudgel
the wife of William Gudgel.  William Gudgel died apparently ca. 1885.
L.W. Gudgel was Attny.  Law at Princeton, Gibson Co., Ind. in 1893.
                                        ***************************************
The following marriages occurred at Woodford Co. Ky.-