Subject: Doran to Gudgell- Bond 28 April 1796

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 13:20:01 -0500

This is a document that I found in the research of Dr. Jim Pope.
Unfortunately, it doesn't
say if it was filed in Mercer Co., KY or Woodford Co., KY.  I think it
must have been Mercer Co.,  KY.  Regardless, it gives us some idea of
what was going on with Andrew Gudgel's  land problems.  Remember that
Mercer Co., KY held the first courts in KY and it is said there were
three suits filed over Andrew's land before he left KY for Indian
Territory in what was later, Knox Co., IN > then Gibson Co., IN.  I
have transcribed the document as it was.  I feel this is a clue to the
beginning of Andrew's problems in Woodford Co.  Would appreciate any
comments.

DORAN TO GUDGELL BOND
Know all men by these presents that I Patrick Doran of Mercer County
and the State of Kenrucky am held and firmly bound unto Andrew Gudgell
in the just and full sum of five hundred Pounds current money of
Kentucky to the true payment of which said sume (sic) to the said
Gudgel.  I the said Patrick Doran do bind myself my heirs firmly by
these presents sealed with my seal and dated this 28th day of April,
1796.

The condition of the above obligation is such that whereas the said
Doran has sold unto the said Gudgell 600 acres of land lying on Glenns
creek adjoining Rouses-- settlement and preemption-- and the said
Gudgell has since sold a part of the said land to different persons
who have made diverse, valuable improvements thereon-- and the said
Gudgel has this day give up to the said Doren (sic) his bond for the
conveyance of the said land--  Now if the above bound Patrick shall
indemnify the said Andrew from and against the said purchasers for the
value of the improvements that they shall have made on the said land
and also suffer the said purchasers--to ongo and use the said land
until they can get their present crops off the same--  Then the above
obligation to be void else to remain in full force and virtue.--
Signed sealed and
delivered in presence of
Jr. Talbot
Thos Davies
						           His	 				

                                                  Patrick  X  Doran		
                                      Seal
                                                           Mark
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:27:32 -0900

Thanks for sending this, Linda. But I'm afraid I am clueless as to understanding 
the legal and archaic jargon.  Is there anyone among the Gudgel-list who can 
translate it?

Dianne G-H