Subject: Doyal Gudgel, 95 passes

From: Dianne Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:43:02 -0900

An update on Doyal Thomas Gudgel, Sr. He died last evening in Tacoma at the 
Franciscan Hospice facility. After a very difficult night (Dec 26-27), with my 
brother, Bob, and myself staying up all night with him, he was taken to the St 
Joseph's hospital where they efficiently and quickly found out he had bi-lateral 
pneumonia, MRSA, Type A flu, and of course the large mass in his lung that was 
only discovered Dec 9th.

The night before was difficult for all of us because Doyal's oxygen level was 
way down--low 70s. No wonder he was hallucinating. That's a good point to keep 
in mind--no oxygen--the brain can't function.

Of course he could not breath well either. Our hopes for the hospice intake that 
was already scheduled at 8 the next morning were very disappointing because we 
found out they don't give 24-hr care; we knew we could not provide the full-time 
care he needed.

Thank goodness the Assisted Living facility he was in  suggested we have him 
transported to St Joseph's because they were connected to the great hospice 
facility where he eventually was transferred that day.

My mother-in-law was also in a similar facility in Florida and I'm thankful for 
those places because most families simply aren't able to deal with the end of 
life at home.

Doyal was born in Blythe, CA, Aug 23, 1921. His parents were Marion Floyd 
Gudgel, Sr and Nellie Fergerson Gudgel. Floyd's parents were Thomas Wiley Gudgel 
and Sarah Emma Sevedge Gudgel.

Doyal's life was pretty good up to the end. Even though he was blind from 
diabetes these last few years, he continued to be active with his blog. He 
visited his wife of 75 years nearly every day at her Memory Care facility.