Subject: Gudgel Notes from Dr. James S. Pope, Columbia, MO- Page 3 of 6

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:38:16 -0400

GUDGEL   FAMILY
                       Page 3

This material was copied from a file held by the Kentucky Historical
Society at Frankfort, KY on 11 June 1978.

*************************************************************

>From Library of Bucks County Historical Society, Doylestown, PA
December 12, 1926 to a Miss Elizabeth Maddox, 402 2. Jefferson St.,
Clinton, Illinois            .

Andrew Gottschall, if he came from Germany, arrived as a minor with
his parents as his name does not appear in the list of Foreigners
naturalized after 1727.  You will notice that he was naturalized
before a session of the Supreme Court of Penn. held for that purpose
April 11, 1749.  He was then a resident of Franconia Township, now
Montgomery County, then until 1784 a part of Philadelphia County.  See
deed by him and his wife, dated May 30, 1749 by which they then of
Franconia Township conveyed land in Bucks County.

He acquired a tract of land on the line of Hilltown and Bedminster
Townships by Patent in 1743.  This was very near the site of Tohickon
Church which is on the Bedminster side of the line.  The tract
purchased by Darrah was a little further south.  The transfer of the
interest in the mill tract to the exrs of Frederick Gottschall
suggests that he might be his father.

These Gottschalls of Franconia and vicinity were Mennonites and
arrived in Penn. quite early.  Most of them in or about the year 1700,
several of them were ministers of the Mennonite churches in that
vicinity.  However, Andrew had two daughters baptized in the Tohickon
Reformed Church in 1750 and 1755 respectively.
                                             ***********************************

Andrew Gotshall of Bedminster Township, Bucks County executed a
mortgage to William Coleman, a merchant of Philadelphia.  Executor of
Samuel Powell, deeased Nov. 9, 1749 to secure the payment of 100
pounds on a plantation and 159 acres lying along the line of
Bedminster and Hilltown Townships which he had bought of Thomas
Durrah, Nov. 8, 1749.  Bucks County Deed Book 8, page 62.  This
mortgage was satisfied in 1760 as having been paid by Benjamin
Lancaster.

Andrew Gotschal of the county of Bucks, yeoman and Catherine, his
wife, on March 17, 1745.  Deed Book 8=9, page 205, conveyed to Abraham
Castine of Hilltown a one half interest or moiety in a grsit mill and
25 acres of land on Tohickon Creek where on Gatschal had erected a
gristmill and other improvements.  The land having been patented
 to him by the Proprietors, John Thomas and Richard Penn, Jan. 28,
1743 .  Both Andrew and Catherine signing by a mark.  It was
acknowledged by Andrew in 1753 and the signature of Catherine _______
was proven in 1754.  They consigned the other moiety of the same tract
May 30, 1749, Deed Book 9, page 211, as residents of Franconia
Township, Philadelphis County to Yost Panacke, son-in-law and executor
of the will of Frederick Gotschalck of Franconia and Anna Mary
Gotschalk, widow and executor of said Frederick.

These executors on June 19, 1749 convey this grist mill tract and a
tract of 12 acres on the Tohickon to John Trout, and 22 acres is
recited to be part of 217 acres patented to Frederick Gotschalck, Feb.
10, 1738.  Baptismal records of Tohickon Reformed church Bucks County,
Penn., Andrew Gotschall and Catherine Elizabeth, his wife, had a
daughter, Maria Johanna, baptized July 7, 1750 (Born June 10, 1750
sponsors Yost Pfannekucken and wife, Maria Agnesia and daughter Maria
Johanna).

Andrew Gottschal and wife, Catherine Elizabeth, daughter, Ester, born
May 7, Bapt. June 3, 1758, sponsors, Henry Jeckel and wife.  See pafe
359.

Andrew Gottschall and wife sponsors for daughter of John Krait and
wife April 28, 1758.
                                   *****************************************
                                                   Copied by James S. Pope

It is of extreme importance the comment about the mill tract.  This I
believe is the prime identification that this Andrew Gotschal (Gudgel)
is the same one that is found in Woodford County, Kentucky 1790's.
____J.S.P.