Subject: Francis Marion Gudgel and Rebecca Valentine - Family newspaper clippings

From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 07:38:40 -0400

Newspaper clipping saved by Martha Lucina Gudgel Moberly and shared
with me in 1994 by Victor Shackleton of Portland, Oregon (fellow
researcher and descendant).
FIFTY YEARS OF LIFE TOGETHER
     Mr. and Mrs. T.L. Moberly Sunday celebrated their golden wedding
anniversary at a dinner served at the home here at which several of
their children and families were present.  Some of the sons and
daughters were unable to be here to help their parents celebrate 50
years of wedded life together because of hindrances arising from flood
conditions.
     Mr. and Mrs. Moberly have lived in and near St. Francis for 40
years.  They were married near Oceola, Nebraska on June 21,1885, at
the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Marion Gudgel.
     The Moberly's first came to Saint Francis in the fall of 1895 in
a covered wagon drawn by horses, from Gresham, York county, Nebraska.
They remained here but two weeks, just long enough to secure the place
at the head of Cherry Creek, 14 miles northwest of here from which
they moved to St. Francis in 1917.  Finding it too dry that year,
1895, they went back to Nebraska but the next spring returned here to
again occupy the farm and take their permanent place with the rest of
the pioneers in this section.
     At that time many of the earlier settlers from the east had
become discouraged and were  deserting their homesteads in droves.
There was an old run down sod house on almost every quarter of land,
Mr. Moberly said.  Those coming later, or who stayed, gradually
acquired these tracts at a low price.  Mr. Moberly at one time held 16
quarters.
     In the thirty-two years they lived on their farm before moving to
town the Moberly's had never seen a complete crop failure in which
there was nothing to eat.  They stocked their farm immediately and
kept it so.  They reared a large family.  They still consider one of
the happiest times of their lives, as many pioneers do, the trip to
the new country by covered wagon, which required two weeks.
     Those present at the dinner Sunday included Mr. and Mrs. Frank
Brening___ and family,  Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Moberly and family, Mr. and
Mrs. Ralph Moberly and family, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Moberly and Gary,
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Winston, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Moore and sons, Louis
Moberly and Mervin Moberly, and the honored couple.
     The children unable to be there were Mrs. Robert Kirkland, Armel,
CO; Mrs. Harold McCall, Hemet, California; Marion Moberly, Shoshone,
Idaho; and Earl Moberly, Grand Junction, Colorado.
**************************************************************************************************
Newspaper Clipping obituary for Martha Lucina Gudgel shared with me in
1994 by Victor Shackleton of Portland, Oregon.  Victor is a fellow
researcher and descendant of this family:

Obituary-
     Mrs. T.L. Moberly, old-time resident of Cheyenne county, passed
away in Portland, Oregon following an illness of several weeks,
brought on by a stroke.
    She came to this country in 1895 and has been a resident here most
of the time since.  Last year she went to Portland, Oregon to be with
her daughters.
     Martha L. Gudgel was born in Terre Haute, Ind., April 19,1867,
and departed this life in Portlamd, Oregon, August 26, 1953, at the
age of 86 years, 4 months and 7 days.  Martha Gudgel was united in
marriage to Thomas L. Moberly June 21, 1885 at the home of the bride's
parents near Oceola, Neb.  To this happy union 12 children were born,
two of whom preceeded their mother in death.
     Mrs. Moberly and her husband came to Cheyenne county in the fall
of 1895 in a covered wagon from their former residence in Gresham,
York County, Nebr., and homesteaded 14 miles northwest of St. Francis
in 1919 to establish a cottage camp and grocery store.  Mrs. Moberly
continued to operate the business four years after her husband's
death.  Selling her business in 1941, she retired to private life and
was quite ative until this last year.
     Her residence here extended  over a period of 58 years.  She was
an active member of the Clough Valley Baptist church during their
residence there.  In 1946 she joined the Pilgrim Holiness church and
was a member until her death.
     She leaves to mourn her departure, one sister, Emma Imel of
Denver; five sons and five daughters, Ralph E. and Elmer M. of St.
Francis;  Marion L. of Riverside, Calif.;  Earl R. of Grand Junction,
Colo.; Thomas L. Jr., of Bremerton, Wash.; Mrs. Frank Breninger, Mrs.
Verd Hefley and Mrs. Kenneth Moore of Portland, Ore.; Mrs. Harold Mc-
(clipping was incomplete).
Obituary from a local source saved by Martha Lucina Gudgel Moberly,
daughter of Francis Marion Gudgel.  Shared with me in 1994 by Victor
Shackleton of Portland, Oregon, fellow researcher and descendant:
     Marion Gudgel was born in Indiana, Nov. 23, 1834.  He later moved
with his parents to Henderson County, Illinpois.  He was married to
Rebecca Valentine January 19, 1858.  To this union was born eight
children, four boys and four girls, four of which woth their mother
have preceeded him to the Great Beyond.
     His first wife died May 9, 1898.  On Sept. 22, 1901 he he was
united in marriage to Mrs. Anna Isch, who together with his children,
S.A. Gudgel of this place, F.M. Gudgel of Hering, Nebr., Mrs. Mattie
Moberly of St. Francis, Kansas and Mrs. Emma Imel of Bradshaw, Nebr.,
remain to mourn his departure.
     He moved on a farm north of Gresham on Dec. 1, 1871 uniting with
the United Bretheren Church shortly after and has been a consistent
member ever since.
     He died in the faith and longed for the end which he knew was
near.  He departed this life Aug. 23,, 1918, aged 83 years and 9
months.
     Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the United
Bretheren Church, conducted by Rev. Harner, assisted by Rev. Buswell.
     Card of Thanks-  We desire to thank those who assisted during the
illness and death of our belovced husband and father, especially the
members of the G.A.R., the Sons of Veterans and the singers.
Mrs. Anna Gudgel and Sons
Mr. and AMArs. F.L. Moberly
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Imel
Mr. and Mrs. F.M. Gudgel
Mr. and Mrs. S.A. Gudgel
************************************************************************************

Newspaper Clipping saved by Martha Lucina Gudgel Moberly, daughter of
Rebecca Valentine and Francis Marion Gudgel.  Shared with me by Victor
Shackelton of Portland Oregon in 1994.  Victor is a fellow researcher
and descendant of this family.
OBITUARY:
     Died at Stratton, Neb., Saturday, May 7th, 1898, Mrs. Rebecca
Gudgel, wife of M. Gudgel.  Aged 61 years, 10 months and 2 days.
     She was born July, 1836 and has been united in marriage January
19, 1858, at Terre Haute, Illinois, with father Gudgel, one of the
oldest settlers of Hackberry precinct, Polk Co.
     The fruit of this marriage was eight children of whom four sons
and two daughters mourn the loss of a beloved mother.
     Mr. and Mrs. Gudgel four years ago sold their homestead and moved
to Stratton this state from whence the remains were shipped last
Monday and interred in the Blue Ridge cemetery.
     The funeral sermon was preached to a large and appreciative
audience by Rev. S.E. Lloyd at the Blue Ridge Chapel.
     Thus another old settler has passed the threshold of an earthly
existence to that undiscovered country from whence  no traveler has
ever returned.
     The Gazette joins a host of friends with a sympathizing tear for
those left to mourn their loss.
*******************************************************************************************
Note:  The source of the clippings is not known.  I believe Francis
Marion Gudgel's line of descent to be as follows:
Andrew Gudgel, Sr. and Anna Barbara Hoch (1st wife)
John Gudgel and Jane Harbison
Andrew Gudgel and Elizabeth Staples-(1st wife)
Francis Marion Gudgel and Rebecca Valentine-(1st wife)

Linda
from Kentucky

---

From: Stephen Gudgel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:25:31 +0000 (UTC)

Note in the 1898 clipping that some of the language structure of the sentences is German. Interesting!
Stephen    

.................. GO Hillary!  
....................

Stephen Gudgel
Tegeler Weg 23
DE-10589 Berlin
Germany
493085400575_ _ _ _ _ Mina de la Ciutat 27-29, 9ES-08042 BarcelonaSpain34932762318

      From: Linda Gudgel Finnell <[email-masked]>
 To: gudgel-list <[email-masked]> 
 Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 12:38 PM
 Subject: Francis Marion Gudgel and Rebecca Valentine - Family newspaper clippings

Obituary-

Linda
from Kentucky