hmm, time for my yearly hardware update I guess. A Sony UX50 this time. Very nice unit and I am enjoying
it very much so far!
It's quite compact and a bit lighter than the NR70. Much more 'pocketable'. Doesn't
seem to want to jump out once placed into a pocket either. A good thing!
It has a swivel screen similar to the NR70 but is used in landscape mode. It seemed a bit odd
at first, but I have now adjusted to it and am busy looking for programs that make use of
this format (which works real nice for book reading i.e. Palm Reader and TiBR). ZLauncher has now
become my launcher of choice. The latest DateBk5 supports landscape as does HandyShopper and MemoPlus.
Also has a lo-res built in camera (will also record short movies!) and an MP3 player and voice recorder.
And, a very usable keyboard (lights up!) and built-in bluetooth and wi-fi.
I have now added a wi-fi router to my mini network and so can Hotsync without hooking up the
This also makes it nice for portable quick email checking and short web browsing sessions. The small screen
size is a bit of a drawback for that though. Also, wi-fi seems to use up the battery real quickly.
Have also tried Telnet (works fine but, again, the screen size makes it a bit of a chore) and
PalmVNC (very cool though maybe not TOO useful.
Just tried connecting to the free wi-fi at a local library today. No problem connecting. Pretty cool. Unable to send email though.
Something about SMPT authorization (or somesuch).
On to the negatives:
- The afore mentioned Hotsync cable. Yes, you get a charging cradle, but still have to plug in a
seperate cable to Hotsync. :-(
- The mini toothpick/stylus.
- Only three buttons and mis-placed (IMHO) jog-dial/back button and on/off switch.
- Small screen. But, I guess it couldn't be too much larger without making the whole thing bigger. Fonts4UX helps a lot here!
- Price. I see it came down shortly after I bought one though. sigh.
Some Pictures taken with my UX50 here
History of this page here
General Palm Info
- Handheld Media Group
- Home of Handheld Computing Magazine
- Calvin's PalmPilot FAQ
- Everything you need to know about the PalmPilot
- High Flyin' Pilot Tips
- Exellent PalmPilot tips and tricks site
- HelpHand Not so FAQ's
- Solving Not so common Palm Problems
Palm Hardware Links
- Palm, Inc.
- Palmone and Palmsource Web Sites.
- Sony Clie Handheld
- Info on Sony's Clie PDAs
- The people that designed the original PalmPilot. Now part of the Palmone family again.
- Visor Central
- Good site for Visor info.
- Amiga PDA
- Connect Your Palm Organizer to your Amiga.
- Great source for Palm software
- Freeware Palm software
- Pimlico Software
- DateBK5 a must have!
- TealPoint Software
- Home of TealGlance, TealPaint, TealPhone, TealAuto, etc.
- Blue Nomad Software
- Wordsmith. Check it out.
- Smartlist To Go
- Formally ThinkDB. Good little database program. Needs landscape support.
- Astra Ware
- Look here for some great color games. Don't miss Bejeweled and InsaneAquariun!
- Palm Digital Media
- eBooks for the Palm
- Palm Classics
- Classic stories formated for your Palm.
And, of course, the competition.
- Micosofts PalmPilot Home Page
- Info on wince devices
- Makers of cool handhelds
- Check out the Zaurus
This Page Last updated: November 26, 2003