Subject: Re: Knicks-Mavs

From: [email-masked] (pj13488)
Date: 17 Nov 1993 16:52:01 -0600

In article <[email-masked]>,
Alan Sepinwall <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>My question is, why did Old Blackman get the start? I didn't see the game
>and only found out about this little fact this morning, in the extended
>version of the AP summary of the game.  I can see Riley wanting to play
>the guy a bit more than usual because he's back home, but starting your
>12th man? That's a bit much. Has anyone read any explanations for it? And
>does anyone know what Starks' reaction to that was? Fortunately, he wound
>up playing the bulk of the minutes anyway (with Hubert sitting entirely)
>but I can't fathom why he didn' start.
>
>-I'm outta here like Vladimir!
>-Alan Sepinwall

I attributed Ro's starting to Riley showing a _lot_ of class.  Last
night was possibly the last time Ro would appear in Reunion Arena as
a player (the next time will probably be for the retiring of his number).
Someone (one of the radio announcers? [I was half listening to the game
while watching the Sonics-Bulls game]) said that it showed that Riley
really cared about his players as people.  I would guess that someone
explained to Starks that Ro's starting was just a way for the coach/team
to honor him and show respect for Ro's career.  Instead of causing 
problems, I would think it would cause more team unity or at least more 
respect for Riley.  Besides, Starks came in 5 or 6 minutes into the
game.

Since I'm here anyways.  Yup, it was a pretty lopsided game.  For the
first time this young season, the Mavs were out-rebounded.  New York
had 45 rebounds and Dallas only had 26 - and only 5 of those were 
offensive.  And to make matters worse, they were putting up bricks and
the Knicks were hitting almost everything.  With New York shooting over
60% and Dallas shooting around 43% in the first half, it is no wonder
that New York entered the half with a large lead.  Add something like
7 missed free throws in the half for the Mavs and call the game over.

I turned the radio off a couple of minutes into the 3rd as it wasn't
worth trying to listen through the static and the Bulls-Sonics game
was exciting.  I did turn it back on after the Sonics-Bulls game 
and listened to the last 3 minutes.  The Mavs scrubs (please don't
laugh or make your own jokes) were making a small run, but it was
too little, too late.  New York finished shooting 53% and Dallas 46%.

Blah.

patricia

-- 
-----------------------------------
|  Patricia Bender                |
|  [email-masked] or |
|  [email-masked]   |