Subject: [FG]:

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:35:06 -0500 (EST)

The Hydrogen News # 28

In this issue:

Story #2 National Security to Lead Renewable Energy Deployment

Story # 16 Experts: Global Warming Is Real

Story # 22 Horrors of Global Warming Highlighted

Story # 25 Global Warming Bill Means Thousands of New Jobs

Story # 31 It's much too late to sweat global warming, Time to prepare for
inevitable effects of our ill-fated future

My story on water based transistors

Story from guest writer Eric Kreig of phact.org

Lots of other Climate Change stories

-------------Notice------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hydrogen News is a free publication but if anyone would like to
slip a couple of bucks my way to help with buying equipment to
further my research I would appreciate it. I now have a Pay-Pal
"Donate" button on my blog and my website for this purpose.
Blog: http:enki.tblog.com
Website: http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/index.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Future Is Now

     To say that the hold that human civilization has on this planet is a
fragile and tenuous one seems untrue in these days of talk of life
extention to one thousand years or more and unlimited capitalist
expansion and growth through globalization. Yet in this past year,
with the Tsunami, we have seen just how fast that natural conditions
on the Earth can align themselves together to bring about a scale of
human destruction so profound as to be nearly indescribable and yet
at the same time spare the lives of most of the animals and plants of
the area. At the same time we have read stories about Climate Change
and how grass is growing in Antarctica, Russian bears who can't
sleep, fish and animal species that are moving into areas where they
never lived before to take advantage of new temperatures and seen the
damage caused by the melting of the Permafrost in the Arctic. With
the recent passing of the Kyoto Treaty there is now a glut of climate
change stories in the news and this issue will be filled with many of
those links. Stories with such attention grabbing titles as ;"A
Glimpse of Hell", "Global Warming is Real"and "Food Scarcity
Predicted" are just the tip of the iceberg. With those stories in
mind, after stocking up on shotgun shells and bottled water, I
remembered the words to a song by Bob Seger and I think you will
agree that the lyrics to that song are sort of prescient in regard to
this issue.

In Your Time
By Bob Seger

In your time the innocence will fall away
In your time the mission bells will toll
All along the corridors and riverbeds
They'll be signs.....In your time

Towering waves will crash across your  southern capes
massive storms will reach your eastern shores
Fields of green will tumble through your summer days,
by design, In your time

Feel the wind and set yourself the bolder course
Keep your heart as open as a shrine
You'll sail the perfect line

and after all the dead ends and the lessons learned
after all the stars have turned to stone
There'll be peace,..... across the great unbroken void
all benign.......in your time
You'll be fine,.... in your time.

********************************************************************************

Here is the article by guest writer Eric Kreig:

Pseudo-Science claims about Hydrogen

By Eric the skeptic

For every real area of science is a whole underworld of falsehood.
Particularly with cutting edge science and particularly on the internet, one
can find a wealth of exciting &#8211; yet WRONG claims.  Such
misinformation is
spawned by a triumvirate of self-taught idiots, wide-eyed lunatics and by
con men.

      For any advocate of a hydrogen future comes the unfortunate public
service responsibility of debunking myths about hydrogen.  One of the most
pernicious hydrogen urban legends is that of "Browns Gas". Don't snicker. It
is only a stoichemetrc ratio of hydrogen and oxygen &#8211; it was known
of long
before a nut named Yull Brown claimed to invent it.  I provide a web page on
information and misinformation on the subject at

HYPERLINK "http://www.phact.org/e/bgas.htm"www.phact.org/e/bgas.htm

For sake of space a quick summary of false claims about it include:

*        It can heal sickness.

*        It can render radioactive materials safe.

*        You can get more energy out of burning it than it takes to
separate it.

*        It implodes rather than explodes and is perfectly safe.

*        You can safely pressurize it.

******************************************************************************************

Water Based Transistors
By Mike Johnston
Copyright 2005

     A few issues back I looked at how you could create water based
electronic components. In that story I mentioned that I hadn't been
able to figure out how to build a water based tansistor. Now I have.
Not exactly what I thought one would look like and perhaps not
exactly what it is but I think calling it a transistor is a
reasonably good description of it's form and function (click here for
a description of how transistors work:
http://www.amasci.com/amateur/transis.html ) In essence a transistor
allows a small electrical current to control a large current. In the
case of the concept that I am going to lay out for you here you could
think of it as a small electrical current controlling a large
electrochemical current. Remember that the larger the current in an
electrolysis cell the more H2 that is produced.

   In this water based transistor one of the main components will be an
electrical plasma. So first off let's get a simple definition of a
plasma; "A plasma is a gas in which an important fraction of the atoms
is ionized, so that the electrons and ions are separately free."  This
ionization occurs when enough energy is present in the form of heat or
electrical energy. You could say then that, in this respect, a
container of water with electrolyte in it resembles a low energy,
liquid state plasma since the atoms of electrolyte in the water are
separated into ions.Interestingly enough the behavior of semiconducors
is explained as Solid State Plasma. Some examples of plasmas are; the
Solar Wind, the Earth's own Plasmasphere, Fluorescent Lights and
welding arcs. For information on various types of plasmas go to:
http://www.plasmas.org/basics.htm
Plasma illustration: http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/plasma_d.gif

   For the sake of simplicity here I am going to condense things as much
as I can. If you would like more in depth information on some of the
things that I am going to mention I would suggest that you download the
MIT course on Plasma (it is free to download) from: (
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html ). MIT is doing some interesting work
with plasmas in relation to hot fusion reactors. When a plasma is
created between two metallic conductors via an electrical arc structres
can form within the arc which are called plasma tubes. These tubes are
created due to the way that the electrons and ions in the plasma
interact with and are moved by the electromagnetic fields within the
plasma. In the following illustrations you can see how charged
particles move in a plasma and how they form "tubes".

Figure 1: In this illustration you see particles forming their looping,
vortex paths. http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/Figure1.bmp

Figure 2: In this drawing you see the looping orbit of charged particles
forming a tube around a magnetic field.
http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/Figure2.bmp

Figure 3: In this drawing you are introduced to Charge Separation within
the plasma tubes. http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/Figures3.bmp

   Charge Separation is very interesting for the purpose of this paper.
What happens is that the oppositely charged particles within a plasma
tend to move to opposite sides of the plasma tube creating a positively
charged side and a negatively charged side. Remember that this is true
even though the overall plasma itself is still electrically neutral
because there are an equal number of positively and negatively charged
particles involved. In the next illustration you see two metal
electrodes with an electrical arc between them. Note that the charged
particles in this plasma arc are separated to opposite sides of the
plasma.

Figure 4 http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/Figure4.bmp

     If we were to create this electrical under water, or under water that
contains an electrolyte an interesting potential seems to present
itself.

Figure 5 http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/Figure5.bmp

    The positive and negative ions in the water should be expected to be
attracted to the side of the plasma tube which is charged oppositely
to thier own charge.

Figure 6 http://www.geocities.com/mj_17870/Figure6.bmp

   In this last illustration we see that, once the oppositely charged ions
are attracted to the sides of the plasma tube the potential exists for
a transfer of electrons to take place across the plasma itself. The
result would be that H2 gas would be formed on one side of the plasma
and O2 gas on the other side. Why is this important?

     The result should be that, if we limit the current in the metal
portion of the circuit,through the electrodes, that a plasma will
still be formed with less energy consumed and that a second
electrochemical current will be able to flow across the plasma. This
second current could potentially be much larger than the electrical
current which is being used to form the plasma. It would also allow
more H2 to be produced overall than would be predicted based on the
current through the electrodes and this has been noted by researchers
who are trying to produce H2 with a plasma arc. I believe this
"plasma transistor"model explains the source of that "excess" H2
within the realm of accepted science.

----------Advertisement------------------------------------------------------------------
E! Magazine is your source for cutting edge environmental news.
https://www.kable.com/pub/enmg/subTrial.asp?src=QSA136
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hydrogen News Links:

(1) Viva Hydrogen! Honda Leases Fuel Cell Vehicles to Las Vegas
     http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=32637
     Honda is leasing a couple of their FCX hydrogen-powered vehicles to
the City of Las Vegas, for $500 a month each. Las Vegas is going to
have negligible fuel costs,
     as they&#8217;ll be refilling them at city-owned hydrogen "pumps".

(2) National Security to Lead Renewable Energy Deployment
     http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/010305_energy_deployment.shtml
     In other words, the energy problem is so critical at this moment that
we must start using what we've got now, whether it's perfected or
not: whether it is sustainable
     or not. If we don't, then we lose everything anyway. At least this
will start buying us a little time.

(3) Cities Eye Ocean Waves for Power Supplies
     http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050213/bs_nm/bizwaves_dc_1
     Since ancient times poets have revered the power of the seas. Now
energy companies and coastal cities like New York and San Francisco
are aiming to tap ocean
     waves and tidal currents as abundant sources of electricity.

(4) Nanotubes crank out hydrogen:
     http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2005/020905/Nanotubes_crank_out_hydrogen_Brief_020905.html
     Researchers from Pennsylvania State University have constructed a
material made from titanium dioxide nanotubes that is 97 percent
efficient at harvesting the
     ultraviolet portion of the sun's light and 6.8 percent efficient at
extracting hydrogen from water.

(5) Hydrogen fuel pioneer recalls the early days
     http://www.lamonitor.com/articles/2005/02/15/headline_news/news03.txt
     Hydrogen is one of those elusive halfway answers to the world's
future fuel needs. Despite a lot of work that has already been done,
hydrogen may always have to
     be qualified by the eternally romantic, ever-beckoning adjective -
"promising."

(6) Pennsylvania hands out grants to develop alternate fuels
     http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2005/02/14/daily6.html
     Pennsylvania environmental officials on Monday awarded more than $1
million in alternative fuel grants to help fund the purchase of
hybrid vehicles and develop a
     hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

(7) Help Save the Planet
     http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/02/16/gelbspan/
     What on earth is a person supposed to do? History and nature are on a
collision course. And we are trapped at ground zero. As the signals
from the climate
     become excruciatingly urgent, the Bush administration turns its back
on the challenge, the U.S. press remains in denial, and the
environmental establishment
     agonizes over its own relevance. All the while, we are, as the
British paper The Independent put it, sleepwalking into the
Apocalypse.

(8) Now for the Bad News: Spring is Early!
     http://solutions.synearth.net/2005/02/16
     It is now mid-February, and already I have sown 11 species of
vegetable....

(9) Micro Scooter : THIS SCOOTER'S NO POLLUTER
     http://scooternewsii.blogspot.com/2005/02/micro-scooter-this-scooters-no.html
     Enter the Aqwon, the first hydrogen-powered scooter to meet Germany's
stringent regulatory standards. The Aqwon scooter can hit 30 m.p.h.
with its two-stroke
     engine, but the biggest challenge was building a fuel tank that could
safely store the hydrogen. In case of accident or fire, the Aqwon's
tank simply freezes. If only
     the Hindenburg had had one of those.

(10) Hydrogen And Wind Power Comparison Websites
       http://alt-energy.blogspot.com/2005/02/hydrogen-and-wind-power-comparison.html
       Even though we're experts choosing the most appropriate hydrogen
and wind power comparison and alternative energy clothing domains
can be ... more ...

(11) Budget backs coal, hydrogen, nuclear
       http://article.wn.com/link/WNAT4281D18F96C544E3441835A00ECF1067?source=templategenerator&template=hydrogenguide/headlines.txt

(12) Hydrogen fuel cell project at Princeton farm called world's first
       http://www.fuelcellsworks.com/Supppage2050.html
       Manure to H2

(13) Bush touts hydrogen power at future station
       http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-fbush19feb19,0,6553848.story?coll=sfla-news-florida

(14) Hawaiian Climate Changing
       http://pesn.com/2005/02/16/6900063_Hawiian_Climate_Changing/
       Island inhabitant recounts recent unprecedented pace of storms.
Says Bush needs to rethink his response to Global Warming and take
it more seriously.

(15) Canadian alternative energy companies see opportunity in Kyoto agreement
       http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cpress/20050213/ca_pr_on_bu/kyoto_opportunities_1
       As the Kyoto treaty on greenhouse gas emissions comes into effect
this week, Canadian alternative energy companies are seeing green
of a different kind.

(16) Experts: Global Warming Is Real
       http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66651,00.html
       Studies that measure ocean temperature rather than air temperature
are more accurate in determining whether the climate is changing,
scientists say. And the
       newest studies conclude that the planet is warming up, and people
are to blame for it.

(17) King tide pummels Kiribati
       http://www.greenpeace.org/international_en/news/details?item_id=738870
       Less than a week before the Kyoto Protocol enters into force, the
tiny island nation of Kiribati is ravished by a 'king tide' -- an
example of the kind of sea-level rise
       we can expect to see more of as global temperatures increase.

(18) Kyoto Protocol becomes law
       http://www.greenpeace.org/international_en/news/details?item_id=744874
       Greenpeace activists, supporters, and volunteers around the world
celebrated the coming into force of the Kyoto Protocol with
banners, windmills, actions against
       dirty power, and a shutdown of trading on the International
Petroleum Exchange in London. After more than ten years of
protracted - sometimes exhausting, often
       frustrating - negotiations, thirty-five industrialised countries
along with the European Community are now legally bound to reduce
or limit their greenhouse gas
       emissions.

(19) Global warming may kill off polar bears
       http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&click_id=143&art_id=qw110707309025B214
       Many Arctic animals, including polar bears and some seal species,
could be extinct within 20 years...

(20) China fears Everest is shrinking
       http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-01/31/content_413755.htm
       China is to re-measure the world's tallest peak, Mount Everest,
because of fears it may be shrinking....

(21) Melting ice lets ship set record
       http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12111454%255E401,00.html
       THE New Zealand crew of a polar research ship say it has ventured
further south than any other ship...

(22) Horrors of Global Warming Highlighted
       http://www.islam-online.net/English/News/2005-02/03/article08.shtml
       The study pulls together for the first time the projected impacts
on ecosystems and wildlife, food... Islam Online

(23) Food Scarcity Predicted With Rising Temps
       http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/breaking_news/10809153.htm
       The combination of rising temperatures and falling water tables is
likely to lead to a tightening...

(24) Climate changes pose new challenges to coastal cities
       http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/2005/02/10/texas_news/iq_1742280.txt
       Coastal cities like Houston and London have instituted a variety of
initiatives to reduce problems...

(25) Global Warming Bill Means Thousands of New Jobs
       http://www.commondreams.org/news2005/0210-09.htm
       Major global warming legislation would add more than 800,000 new
jobs in America by 2025

(26) NASA says 2005 may be warmest year yet
       http://abc.net.au/science/news/scitech/SciTechRepublish_1300451.htm
       A weak El Nino and human-made greenhouse gases could make 2005 the
warmest year since records have been kept.

(27) Rise in sea level threatens leading bird reserve
       http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=610281
       It is Britain's most spectacular bird reserve, with more breeding
species than any other.

(28) Great Barrier Reef 'dead in 20 years'
       http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0700world/tm_objectid=15182794&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=great-barrier-reef----dead-in-20-years--name_page.html
       In less that 20 years, rising sea temperatures caused by global
warming could kill Australia's Great Barrier Reef

(29) Climate change: Workshop ponders how to get people to care
       http://www.communitypapers.com/DAILYCOURIER/myarticles.asp?P=1079914&S=400&PubID=13720
       Getting the average person to care about global climate change is a
hard sell, a psychology expert...

(30) A glimpse of hell
       http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=qw110820420172B216
       Whether it unfolds quickly by fire or slowly through global
warming, the future of this forested...

(31) It's much too late to sweat global warming, Time to prepare for
inevitable effects of our ill-fated future
       http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/02/13/INGP4B7GC91.DTL
       At the core of the global warming dilemma is a fact neither side of
the debate likes to talk about:...

(32) Villagers unaware of climate changes
       http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=16386
       They said it (the climate changes) was the work of God which hit
them," Mr Areki said.

(33) Global warming hitting home in Auckland
       http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/SC0502/S00045.htm
       Global warming is starting to affect the lifestyle of Aucklanders.
The problems the Huntly power... Scoop.co.nz

(34) Melting glaciers indicate a warmer world to come
       http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/edit/archives/2005/02/14/2003223048
       Up and down the icy spine of South America, the glaciers are
melting, the white mantle of the Andes... Taipei Times

(35) Earth Gets A Warm Feeling All Over
       http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050212195102.htm
       Last year was the fourth warmest year on average for our planet
since the late 1800s, according to NASA scientists.

(36) Global Warming Could Worsen U.S. Pollution
       http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20050219/sc_nm/environment_warming_dc
       Global warming could stifle cleansing summer winds across parts of
the northern United States over the next 50 years and worsen air
pollution, U.S. researchers said
       on Saturday.

(37) Ocean, Arctic Studies Show Global Warming Is Real
       http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20050217/sc_nm/environment_climate_dc
       A parcel of studies looking at the oceans and melting Arctic ice
leave no room for doubt that it is getting warmer, people are to
blame, and the weather is going to
       suffer, climate experts said on Thursday.

(38) Unfolding Story of Warming Planet
       http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050216/ap_on_sc/kyoto_protocol_chronology
       Key dates in the story of climate change

(39) It's a Warmer World, But Does That Mean Armageddon?
       http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20050214/sc_nm/environment_warming_dc
       When bears wake early from hibernation, Australia suffers its worst
drought in 100 years and multiple hurricanes hammer Florida should
we believe The End is nigh?

(40) Global warming may dry out Taiwan by 2035
       http://english.www.gov.tw/index.jsp?id=13&recid=103656&viewdate=0
       Taiwan will suffer from severe water and electricity shortages by
2035 because of global warming,... Taiwan Headlines

Notice: For information on advertising rates or to make suggestions email
me at: [email-masked]  All original material in this newsletter is
assumed to be
           copyrighted by the source from which it originates. My stories
are also copyrighted from the date they are published.