Subject: [FG]: candle power

From: "G N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:42:14 +0200

The research is complete.

The solution was found :)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/400937/candle_power_who_needs_batteries/

---

From: "M J Mitch Mitchell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:48:28 -0800

GN wrote
"The research is complete.

The solution was found :)"

What the ---- are you doing on this list?
You would make a lousy magician!

_________________________________________________________________
Turn searches into helpful donations. Make your search count. 
http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG

---

From: Charles Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:20:43 -0600

I do know...  I was amused.  :-)

---

From: "leaking pen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:59:24 -0700

Anyone know the principles behind this?

-- 
That which yields isn't always weak.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 06:44:19 +0000

First of all - does this really work? Has anyone tryed this?

R.
Sent via BlackBerry from Vodafone  

-----Original Message-----
From: "leaking pen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:59:24 
To:[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [FG]: candle power

---

From: Darryl Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:17:58 +1300

I haven't, but I might do over the weekend if nobody else tries it first.

One part that puzzled me was magnetising the nails.

I got the impression that both nails were given the same polarity. I would
have expected opposite polarities.

Also, surely it would take more than a just couple of strokes with a magnet
to magnetise a nail properly?

Darryl

__________________________________

This message was sent by Darryl Ward.

www.dward.tk

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 7:44 PM
Subject: Re: [FG]: candle power

> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.1.411 / Virus Database: 268.17.29/673 - Release Date:
06/02/2007

---

From: "G N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:28:56 +0200

I think he put baterries in the candles, made the table electrically 
conductive in order to have a circuit and he used a remote control to close 
a relay.

I liked the simplicity of his idea :)

---

From: "rown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:53:36 +1300

yes the nails went in easyer than reality I would say

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:37:21 +0000

So has anyone tested this egsactly how it is shown on video? 
Sent via BlackBerry from Vodafone  

-----Original Message-----
From: "G N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:28:56 
To:<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [FG]: candle power

---

From: "Esa Ruoho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:45:10 +0200

Jerry Decker has been on it a bit and threw this at it:
Thanks to James (futurescience) for sharing this incredible video with us
here at keelynet.com - (A personal note, I tried this and couldn't get
anything out..I used two fat votive candles, with a sanded galvanized nail
driven in to hit the wick and a regular flashlight bulb at 3vdc but nothing
happened. Not a bit of voltage let alone a lighted bulb as in the video...it
might be a grain of wheat bulb and not a typical flashlight bulb, not
specified in the video...it could be a hoax or I'm not doing something
right. - JWD) This basic demonstration and proof of principle requires just
2 Candles, 2 Nails, a Magnet to magnetize the nails, two alligator clips and
a load (+/- 3vdc flashlight bulb, motor, etc.) I think this is the most
fascinating video I've yet seen. It is definitely something to test for
yourself and the comments on the page below the video indicate OTHERS have
also been able to make it work. The video suggests that the nails need to be
pushed in far enough to touch the wick inside the candle to act as a
conducting wire (waxed wire, like an electret?)...I'm puzzled because I
can't imagine it being due to heat or the wax would melt around the wick
down to the nail. Could it be thermoelectric? Ionic? Whatever is the cause
of this novel effect, it could be a unique way to recharge your cell, iPod
or other devices or even provide for emergency power if it turns out to be
scaleable. Perhaps a propane burner on two nails or is the wax critical for
the production of current. During the rainy season here we sometimes lose
electricity and I resort to candles, this way I might be able to power a few
flashlight bulbs or bright LEDs from the candles...how COOL!!! Wonder what
happens if you hooked a neodymium or rare earth magnet to the nails to
increase the flux density?
then the following happened on the keelynet discussion list (
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/KeelyNet_Interact/message/91 )

"Did some continuity checks as these votive candles have metal plates on
which the wick is suspended, thus a good connection.

I measured near zero continuity from the charred wick down to the metal
plate but NOTHING at the nail.

Meaning I didn't have it butted up against the internal length of the
wick...stuck it in where I thought it lined up, but...guess...not,
however, I am not giving up yet...

First, have to make sure there is conductivity, then that the nails are
truly magentized, then that the load is low enough to show the
production of voltage, as in with a grain of wheat bulb, LED or
something of low power drain.

Must have the basic phenomena before any attempts to scale up.

Must admit, I was surprised there was conductivity from the wick down to
the base!

On 08/02/07, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:
> From: "G N" <[email-masked] >
> From: "leaking pen" < [email-masked]>

---

From: "Mike Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:13:34 -0500

Hi Charles etc,

I just saw this discussion and I thought that I would re-surface and say 
hello.

MJ

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Charles Ford" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: [FG]: candle power

> Version: 7.5.432 / Virus Database: 268.17.29/673 - Release Date: 2/6/2007 
> 5:52 PM
>
>

---

From: "Hatch, David Tucson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:11:03 -0600

>From: Esa Ruoho [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 3:45 AM
>	
	
Many candles have a lead wire running through the wick. It helps to
hold the wick straight when pouring the wax. Most candles of Chinese
manufactire have them.

David

---

From: "Hatch, David Tucson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:12:33 -0600

Should also mention they also come in tin-lead alloy (solder)
and zinc core.

David

---

From: Charles Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:32:14 -0600

Hmmmm   Ah  so these are non RoHs compliant candles.  :-)

Anybody see a little green sticker?
te-he

Hatch, David Tucson wrote:
>> Must admit, I was surprised there was conductivity from the wick down
>>     
> to 
>   
>> the base!
>>     
>