Older Misc News
[Check the Mavs News section for more details and older stuff.]
- 4/3 Maxi Kleber (left leg contusion), Kristaps Porzingis (rest),
and Josh Richardson (left calf tightness) did not play in the Washington
- 4/2 Coach Rick Carlisle did not coach the New York game due to a
positive COVID test. It would turn out to be a false positive (he had
been vaccinated) and he would coach the next night.
- 3/31 Fox Sports Southwest, TV broadcaster of the Mavs, changed
their name to Bally Sports Southwest.
- 3/29 Dallas activated Luka Doncic.
- 3/27 Dallas activated Nicolo Melli.
- 3/27 Kristaps Porzinigis (rest) did not play in the New Orleans
- 3/26 Dallas placed Luka Doncic (lower back tightness), Nicolo
Melli (trade), and J.J. Redick (sore right heel) on IL.
- 3/26 TRADE: Dallas traded James Johnson, Wes Iwundu, a 2021 2nd
round draft pick,, and cash to New Orleans for J.J. Redick and Nicolo
- 3/24 Dallas activated James Johnson.
- 3/21 Dallas activated Dorian Finney-Smith.
- 3/19 Portland coach Terry Stotts acheived his 500th career coaching
win with the win against Dallas.
- 3/19 Dallas placed Willie Cauley-Stein (health and safety
protocols) on IL.
- 3/17 Dallas activated Dwight Powell and placed Dorian Finney-Smith
(birth of son) and Tyrell Terry (personal reasons) on IL.
- 3/17 Jeremy Holsopple was named as the NBA Strength & Conditioning
Coach of the Yer.
- 3/17 News came out tht former Mav Shawn Bradley was in a serious
bicycle accident in January that left he paralized.
- 3/15 Dallas activated Nate Hinton and Tyrell Terry and placed
Dwight Powell (ill) on IL.
- 3/13 Dallas placed James Johnson (personal reasons) on IL.
- 3/10 Dallas activated Luka Doncic, Tyler Bey, and Josh Green.
- 3/7 In the All-Star game at Atlanta, Team LeBron defeated Team
Team LeBron REB
Player MIN FGM-FGA 3PM-3PA FTM-FTA PTS O-T AST TO PF STL BLK
Luka Doncic (Dal) 32 3-7 2-6 0-0 8 0-3 8 1 0 2 0
- 3/7 In the Skills Challenge contest, Domantas Sabonis (Ind)
defeated Luka Doncic in the 2nd round. The contest involved running an
basketball course against another player, with the winner advancing in the
3-round contest. Doncic had a bye for the 1st round due to being an
All-Star starter and the shortened contest having just 6 participants.
Sabonis went on to win the contest.
- 3/3 Dallas placed Luka Doncic on IL with lower back tightness.
- 3/2 The NBA named Luka Doncic as a participant for the Skills
Challenge, to take place All-Star Sunday night in Atlanta on March 7.
- 2/25 Dallas placed Tyrell Terry (no injury) on IL.
- 2/25 The NBA released the 2nd half of the season schedule.
- 2/23 Maki Kleber did not play in the Boston game due to a sprained
- 2/23 Josh Richardson and Jrue Holiday (Mil) were named as the
conference winners for the NBA Cares Community Assist Award for January.
- 2/22 Maxi Kleber suffered a sprained left ankle during the 4th
quarter of the Memphis game and did not return.
- 2/22 Dallas activated Tyrell Terry and placed Josh Green (no
injury) and Kristaps Porzingis (lower back tightness) on IL.
- 2/18 Luka Doncic was named as an All-Star starter, as voted on by
the fans, players, and media. Doncic actuallyed tied with Damian Lillard
(Por) in the weighted scored, but had the tie-breaker due to having more
Western Conference Guards top 3 All-Star voting results:
Player Fan Votes Player Votes Media Votes Weighted Score
Stephen Curry (GS) 5,481,033 172 96 1
Luka Doncic (Dal) 3,335,042 58 30 2.5
Damian Lillard (Por) 2,848,663 131 64 2.5
- 2/18 The Dallas at Houston game for Feb 18 was postponed due to the
winter storm in Texas.
- 2/16 The Detroit at Dallas game for Feb 17 was postponed due to the
winter storm in Dallas.
- 2/10 With the return of fans to the arena, it was noticed that the
Mavericks were not playing the national anthem before the start of the
game, as has always been common practice for sporting events. They had
not been doing so all season. The media picked up the story and the NBA
issued a statement: "With NBA teams now in the process of welcoming fans
back into their arenas, all teams will play the national anthem in keeping
with longstanding league policy."
- 2/8 For the first home game in 20-21, Dallas had fans in
attendance. About 1,500 (though official attendance was 1,000)
first-responders and health-care workers were invited to attend the game.
- 2/6 James Johnson did not play in the Golden State game due to a
sore left knee.
- 2/4 Dallas placed Tyrell Terry (no injury) on IL.
- 2/2 Dallas activated Maxi Kleber and Kristaps Porzingis and placed
Tyler Bey (no injury) and Nate Hinton (no injury) on IL.
- 1/30 Dallas activated Nate Hinton and Tyler Bey and placed Kristaps
Porzingis (rest) on IL.
- 1/29 Dallas placed Nate Hinton (no injury) on IL.
- 1/27 Dallas activated Dorian Finney-Smith, Josh Richardson, and
Dwight Powell and placed Tyler Bey (no injury) on IL.
- 1/27 The NBA fined Jamal Murray (Den) $25,000 for his flagrant foul
level 2 (striking him in the groin area) on Tim Hardaway during the 1/26
Denver at Dallas game.
- 1/23 Kristaps Porzingis (rest) did not play in the Houston game.
- 1/18 Kristaps Porzingis recorded his 500th career block.
- 1/18 Dallas activated Jalen Brunson.
- 1/17 Tim Hardaway (strained left groin) did not play in the Chciago
- 1/13 Rick Carlisle acheived his 800th career coaching win.
- 1/13 Dallas activated Kristaps Porzingis and placed Dwight Powell
and Maxi Kleber on IL due to health and safety protocols.
- 1/12 Note: the team did travel to Charlotte and Wednesday's game is
still scheduled to occur.
- 1/12 Dwight Powell tested positive for COVID and entered the
league's health and safety protocols.
- 1/11 The NBA postponed Monday's (1/11) New Orleans at Dallas game
due to COVID concerns. The new date for the game will be announced at a
later time (probably when they release the second half of the season
- 1/11 The NBA named Luka Doncic and Jason Tatum (Bos) as Players of
the Week for the week ending 1/10. Doncic averaged 30.3 points, 12
rebounds, and 11.3 assists as Dallas went 3-0. Tatum averaged 33 points
and 5.3 rebounds as Boston went 3-0.
- 1/10 Maxi Kleber tested positive for COVID and entered the league's
health and safety protocols. He will have to remain away from the team
until he tests negative multiple times. The Mavs shut down their practice
facility as a precaution.
- 1/9 Dallas activated Tyler Bey and Nate Hinton and placed Jalen
Brunson, Dorian Finney-Smith, and Josh Richardson on IL for health and
- 1/7 After the Denver game, a Mavericks player tested positive for
COVID (the name of which was not released) - that player has to remain
away from the team until he tests negative multiple times. 2 other
players were placed in quarantine for close contact - those 2 will be away
from the taem for a minimum of 7 days. As such, Jalen Brunson, Dorian
Finney-Smith, and Josh Richardson remain in quarantine in Denver (and,
yes, they remained in their Denver hotel during their quarantine).
[Note: Brunson came back earlier than the other two, so he was one
of the close-contacts. But both Finney-Smith and Richardson ended up
testing positive, so which was the original and which was the
close-contact is not known.]
- 1/7 Dallas activated Nate Hinton and placed Trey Burke (ill) on IL.
- 1/4 Dallas placed Nate Hinton on IL.
- 1/3 Luka Doncic did not play in the Chicago game due to a left quad
- 1/3 Dallas activated Nate Hinton.
- 1/2 Long time NBA coach Paul Westphal died at age 70. He served as
an assistant with Dallas 2007-08 and executive vice president of
basketball operations 2008-09.
- 1/1 The NBA fined James Johnson $40,000, Cody Martin (Cha) $25,000,
and Caleb Martin (Cha) $20,000 for their confrontation during the 12/30
- 12/23 Start of the 2020-21 season - planned as a 72 game season.
Note that fans are currently not allowed in attendance due to COVID concerns.
- 12/23 Dallas placed Tyler Bey, Nate Hinton, and Kristaps Porzingis
(right knee surgery) on IL.
- 12/19 Dallas released Courtney Lee.
- 12/18 Dallas released Freddie Gillespie and Devonte Patterson.
- 12/11 Dallas signed Courtney Lee and released J.J. Barea.
- 2020-21 Preseason Schedule:
- 12/12 Saturday Dallas at Milwaukee at 7pm on mavs.com
- 12/14 Monday Dallas at Milwaukee at 7pm on FSSW
- 12/17 Thursday Minnesota at Dallas at 7pm on FSSW [no fans in attendance]
- 12/1 2020-21 Training camp opened.
- 12/1 Dallas re-signed J.J. Barea, Trey Burke, and Willie Cauley-Stein.
- 12/1 Dallas exercised their 21-22 option for Luka Doncic.
- 12/1 Dallas signed Tyrell Terry, Freddie Gillespie, Nate Hinton,
Wes Iwundu, and Devonte Patterson.
- 11/30 Dallas signed 1st round draft pick (#18) Josh Green to a 4
year, $2.8 million first round rookie contract with the last 2 years at
the team's option.
- 11/30 Dallas signed 2nd round draft pick (#36) Tyler Bey to a 2-way
- 11/21 TRADE: As part of a 3 team trade, Dallas traded away Delon
Wright, Justin Jackson, a 2023 2nd round draft pick, and a 2026 2nd round
draft pick and received James Johnson; Detroit traded away Trevor Ariza
and received Delon Wright; and Oklahoma City traded away James Johnson and
recevied Justin Jackson, Trevor Ariza, and the draft picks.
- 11/19 Tim Hardaway elected not to opt-out of his contract and,
thus, remains under contract with Dalls for 2020-21.
- 11/18 Dallas drafted Josh Green with the #18 pick of the 1st round
of the 2020 NBA draft.
- 11/18 Dallas drafted Tyrell Terry with the #36 pick of the 2nd
round of the 2020 NBA draft.
- 11/18 Draft day trade: Dallas traded Seth Curry to Philadelphia for
Josh Richardson and the rights to #36 draft pick Tyler Bey.
- 11/18 Willie Cauley-Stein opted out of his contract and is a free
- 11/17 Dallas named Zach Guthie as assistant coach.
- 10/30 Houston named Dallas assistant coach Stephen Silas as head
- 10/9 Kristaps Porzinigis underwent arthroscopic surgery on his
right knee to repair an lateral meniscus injury.
- 10/5 Dwight Powell (Dal), Harrison Barnes (Sac), Jaylen Brown
(Bos), George Hill (Mil), and Chris Paul (OKC) were named as the winners
of the 2019-20 NBA Cares Community Assist Award (each division has a
Not affiliated with or representing anyone besides myself.