Maintenance is still in progress.
Shellx took much longer than normal because I lost connectivity with the server near the end of the imaging process and had to start over. It will be back up momentarily.
Scientific is also down being imaged. Debian.eskimo.com is still up and available as is the old ‘eskimo.com’ sever.
Shellx is backup now and is finished for the evening.
The mail server will be next and then ftp / www. After scientific completes Debian will be next.
I rebooted the web server at 11:15AM because PHP applications were responding slowly and I was unable to find any heavy load to justify the cause. Since the machine needed to be rebooted to load a new kernel anyway I booted it. After the boot it responded normally. Downtime was approximately two minutes.
I have to apply kernel updates, take the machines down, and image them, and reboot all of the servers. I will be doing this early Saturday morning and if I am unable to complete all of them in time I will extend this to the same period Sunday morning.
With any of the above Desktops there is the option to Shutdown, Reboot, Hibernate, or Suspend available to the normal non-administrative user. The polkit-1 settings don’t seem to work. If anyone knows of a fix, I’d really like to make these new servers running Centos 7, Scientific Linux 7, Ubuntu, and Mint available.
I’m trying to setup a new shell server running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but I’m having a problem with the GUI aspect. Any window manager I try, there is an option to Leave that not only has switch user and log out as an option but also shutdown and restart the computer.
I’ve tested this and shutdown / restart from a GUI work for an ordinary non-priviledged user.
I tried to create an polkit-1 policy to stop this, this worked on Debian but Ubuntu seems to blissfully ignore it. If anybody has solved this problem please let me know. I’ve done many web searches and so far none of the solutions I’ve found work.
I accidentally rebooted the machine that is the host for scientific and debian today. I apologize, I’m trying to turn up a new machine that will be running Ubuntu and having some difficulty with it, and accidentally rebooted the wrong machine.
Isomedia will be doing network maintenance work on August 7th between midnight and 4am that will impact our services briefly as our equipment is co-located at an Isomedia co-location facility.
ISOMEDIA will be performing maintenance on network core infrastructure
Thursday, August 7th, between 12AM and 4AM Pacific Time. This work will
cause 2-3 brief disruptions in connectivity lasting up to 30 seconds each in
duration while work is completed. You are being notified of this work as it
will affect your service connectivity. As a precaution, please ensure that
your Internet equipment is performing no critical updates, backups, or other
activities over your connection during this time frame.
We will endeavor to keep all interruption as brief as possible. All times
are estimates based on expected outcomes of the work being performed and
previous experience performing the same or similar work. There is always the
possibility of some unforeseen bug, or problem, that could extend the
maintenance time. Administrators will make every effort to correct the
problem, or implement the back out plan quickly, if something does occur.
All times are estimates based on expected outcomes of the work being
performed and previous experience performing the same or similar work.
We will be performing maintenance just after midnight tonight that will involve downtime for various servers ranging from about 10-25 minutes per server.
This is necessary to boot new kernels and to image machines to incorporate recent updates.
The Go programming language has been added to shellx.
To use it set your path to include /usr/local/go/bin
For redundancies sake, I have one radius server at the co-location facility and one at my home. The one at my home is connected to the Internet via a T1.
The T1 circuit connecting the radius server at my home failed, and the radius server at the co-location facility was also unresponsive. This caused about an hour long authentication failure for dial-up and DSL subscribers. Existing connections would not be affected.
I have restored the backup server to service. The machine was up and running but for reasons unknown both radius and MySQL daemons had died. Both restarted without incident and the backup server is now processing authentication requests. A ticket has been generated with Isomedia to restore the T1 to service.