Seattle is a great destination for boaters, with many marinas and yacht clubs available. The Center for Wooden Boats is a living museum where visitors can rent a boat, learn to sail, or volunteer13. They also offer free one-hour rentals of peapod rowboats at their South Lake Union location4. The Seattle Sailing Club is located In Shilshole Bay Marina, which is a great spot for sailing5.
For transient boaters, there are several marinas available in Seattle, including Seattle Marina, which offers covered and uncovered slips for boats up to 40 feet6. Bell HarborMarina is located in the heart of downtown Seattle and offers 70 guest slips, all for transient boaters. Elliot Bay Marina is also located in downtown Seattle. It offers 1,200 slips for boats up to 250 feet and accommodation for transient boats.
To travel by boat from Bell Harbor to Lake Washington, boaters would need to pass through the Montlake Cut, which connects Lake Washington to Lake Union. The University and Montlake Bridges are drawbridges that would need to be opened to allow sail boats to pass through. The University Bridge has a clearance of 30 feet when closed, while the Montlake Bridge has a clearance of 46 feet when-closed.
There are several yacht clubs based in Seattle, including the Seattle Yacht Club, Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle, Tyee Yacht Club, and Queen City Yacht Club. There is also a University of Washington Yacht Club.
Seattle offers several noteworthy attractions and amenities for boaters.
There are several restaurants that cater to boaters on Lake Union, including Ivar’s Salmon House, Westward, and The White Swan Public House. Near Bell Harbor and Elliot BayMarina, there are many restaurants to choose from, including Anthony’s Pier 66, Elliott’s Oyster House, and The Crab Pot.
Overall, Seattle is a great destination for boaters, with many marinas, yacht clubs, and restaurants to choose from. N
- The Salish Sea offers a diverse and scenic sailing experience, ranging from bustling cities, like Seattle, to untouched wilderness islands1.
- The Ballard Locks in the Lake Washington Ship Canal provide a unique experience as boats and kayaks pass through the “boat elevator” between freshwater lakes and saltwater4.
- Kenmore Air offers scenic seaplane tours, providing unbeatable views of the city and surrounding areas4.
- The Center for Wooden Boats, located on Lake Union, is a living museum where visitors can rent boats, learn to sail, and explore the history of wooden boats6.
Activities available for rental boaters:
- Lake Union Charters & Adventures
- The Electric Boat Company
- Seattle Donut Boat
- Northwest Outdoor Center25
Yacht Clubs based in Seattle:
- Seattle Yacht Club
- Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle
- Queen City Yacht Club
- Shilshole Bay Yacht Club1
- Tyee Yacht Club
Traveling by boat from Bell Harbor to Lake Washington:
- Boaters can travel from Bell Harbor to Lake Washington by navigating through the Lake Washington Ship Canal, passing through the Ballard Locks4.
Draw bridges that would need opening from Bell Harbor to Lake Washington:
- If the boat mast is 70 feet high, both the University Bridge and the Montlake Bridge would need to be opened4.
- If the boat mast is 35 feet high, only the Fremont Bridge would need to be opened4.
Restaurants catering to boaters on Lake Union:
- There are several restaurants on Lake Union that cater to boaters, including:
- Ivar’s Salmon House
- The White Swan Public House
- Little Water Cantina3
Restaurants near Bell Harbor or Elliot Bay Marina:
- There are numerous dining options near Bell Harbor and Elliot Bay Marina, including:
- The Pink Door
- Elliott’s Oyster House
- Cutters Crabhouse
- Anthony’s Pier 664
These are just a few highlights of what Seattle has to offer boaters. Visitors can enjoy the scenic beauty, explore the waterways, and indulge in the vibrant dining scene while experiencing the Pacific Northwest’s maritime culture.
How many bridges cross the Lake Washington Ship Canal
There are a total of seven bridges that cross the Lake Washington Ship Canal13. Five of these bridges are bascule bridges, which are drawbridges that lift up to allow boats to pass through, while two are fixed bridges1.
The drawspans of the bascule bridges have clearances ranging from 14 to 43 feet1. The four double-leaf bascule bridges crossing the Ship Canal are the oldest still used in the city, having opened between 1917 and 19304. The western most crossing of the ship canal is the Ballard Bridge, while the easternmost bridges are the Montlake and University bridges4.
Here are the clearances in feet that would make unnecessary a bridge opening for each of the seven bridges which cross the ship canal on a journey from Elliot Bay to Lake Washington:
- Ballard Bridge: very high Fixed bridge, no clearance needed.
- Fremont Bridge: Drawbridge with a clearance of 30 feet4.
- Aurora Bridge: Fixed bridge with a clearance of 167 feet1.
- University Bridge: Drawbridge with a clearance of 30 feet when closed16.
- Montlake Bridge: Drawbridge with a clearance of 46 feet when closed16.
- Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge: Floating bridge with a clearance of 70 feet5.
- Evergreen Point Floating Bridge: Floating bridge with a clearance of 70 feet15.
It is important to note that vessels 300 tons and vessels with a tow may not pass a red signal, and other vessels should use caution for oncoming large commercial traffic1.
There may be occasional closures of some bridges for maintenance or construction work, which can cause traffic delays. For example, the State Route 520 bridge was closed for 54 hours in August 2023 for paving and utility relocation work24.
The Ballard Locks, officially known as the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, are open to the public year-round from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm daily1. However, boats can make lock passage 24 hours per day. The locks are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day1.
There are several marinas near the Ballard Locks where a boat could dock so that its crew might visit the locks which have impressive gardens, a museum and a view port for fish using the fish ladder.
Other marinas in the area include Salmon Bay Marina, Canal Boatyard, and Pacific Fishermen Shipyard and Electric1. Boaters should check with the marina in advance to ensure that there is space available for their boat and to confirm any fees or restrictions12.
Is the Seattle Yacht Club worth visiting? Does it have fine dining? Is there a hiking path near the Seattle Yacht Club? Is there swimming near the Seattle Yacht Club? Do athletes enjoy water skiing on Lake Washington?
According to the Coastal Boating website, the Seattle Yacht Club is one of the top yacht clubs in the United States1.The club has a rich history, having been founded in 1892 with an original membership of 250 “yachting gentlemen”2.Today, the club has nearly 5,000 boaters as members and is recognized around the world for its contributions to the maritime community, its record of competitive success, and its collaboration in local and international yachting organizations2.
While the Seattle Yacht Club has members all over the world, membership is primarily open to Northwest boaters ages 10+ who would like to join the club’s active community56.The club offers use of its Portage Bay Clubhouse with casual and fine dining restaurants, banquet and meeting facilities, guest moorage, and reciprocal privileges to more than 225 other yacht clubs around the world6.
Regarding the fine dining restaurant at the Seattle Yacht Club, the use of the dining rooms is restricted to SYC members and their guests34. Therefore, non-members may not be able to dine at the club’s fine dining restaurant unless they are accompanied by an SYC member.
According to the Seattle Yacht Club’s guidelines for use by reciprocal guests, the dress code for the fine dining restaurant at the club is “appropriate business or casual attire except in the Ward Room”12. The Ward Room is a private dining room for members only, and has a dress code of business attire1. Therefore, guests are expected to dress in appropriate business or casual attire when dining at the club’s fine dining restaurant. It is important to note that the club’s dress code may be subject to change, and guests should check with the club in advance to confirm the dress code for their visit16.
Reciprocal guests of select yacht clubs are invited to use the club’s restaurants, bar, retail store, and guest moorage16. Therefore, non-members may be able to dine at the club’s casual dining restaurant, but not at the fine dining restaurant unless they are accompanied by an SYC member. It is important to note that the club’s dining options and policies may be subject to change, and guests should check with the club in advance to confirm availability and any restrictions16.
What is the Seattle Duck dodge and when does the dodge take place? Is it a Seattle Yacht Club event? How close is the Seattle Yacht Club to the University of Washington? How hard is it to get to downtown Seattle from the Seattle Yacht Club by light rail?
The Seattle Duck Dodge is a weekly sailboat race that takes place on Lake Union every Tuesday night during the summer months15. It is a loosely organized regatta that is open to all types of sailboats, from dinghies to large cruising boats1. The race is known for its fun and festive atmosphere, with participants dressing up in costumes and decorating their boats with colorful lights and decorations1.
While the Seattle Yacht Club is not the organizer of the Duck Dodge, many of its members participate in the race1. The club is located on Portage Bay, which is adjacent to Lake Union and just across the Montlake Cut from the University of Washington3. It is approximately 5 miles from the Seattle Yacht Club to downtown Seattle, and it is possible to take the Link light rail from the University of Washington station, a short walk from SYC, to downtown Seattle3.
Overall, the Seattle Duck Dodge is a fun and unique event that is worth checking out for boaters and non-boaters alike. While the Seattle Yacht Club is not directly involved in the race, its members are active participants, and the club is conveniently located near Lake Union and the University of Washington.
Is there a whale maker bar near the Seattle Yacht Club? What is a whale maker?
There is a Whalemaker Lounge located near the Seattle Yacht Club in Seattle, Washington1. It is a lounge and bar that is open until late hours. The origin of the term “whale maker” is worth discussing.
The term “whale maker” appears to be associated with various contexts, including a fund management and investment strategy for crypto and fiat currencies1, a mark or symbol used by an unknown entity2, and the name of perhaps more than one lounge and bar4. It is possible that the term “whale maker” is a unique or specific term used within these particular contexts, but its broader origin or meaning is not evident outside of this blog.
It is possible that the name is simply a creative or whimsical choice by the owners. Or it could refer to taxidermy displayed on each side of the bar! Overall, while there is a Whale maker Lounge near the Seattle Yacht Club, there is no definitive information indicating what a “whale maker” is or any connection between the lounge and the yacht club.
What is noteworthy to a visitor traveling by boat from Elliot Bay to and around Lake Washington? What are the top ten tourist attractions in Seattle?
Traveling by boat from Elliot Bay around Lake Washington offers several noteworthy experiences for visitors. Here are some highlights:
- Scenic Views: The journey from Elliot Bay to Lake Washington offers stunning views of the Seattle skyline, the Olympic Mountains, and the Cascade Mountains12. Boaters can enjoy the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest while cruising on the water.
- Seattle Waterfront: The Seattle Waterfront is a popular destination for visitors, featuring souvenir and gift shops, an array of Northwest seafood dining, and several attractions such as the Seattle Great Wheel and Wings Over Washington1.
- Washington State Ferries: A ride across Puget Sound aboard one of 22 Washington State Ferries vessels is a quintessential Pacific Northwest experience2.Enjoy the breathtaking views from the bow of the boat as you cruise to the nearby communities of Bainbridge Island or Bremerton.
- Ballard Locks: In Lake Washington’s Ship Canal sits the century-old Ballard Locks, where you can watch the water levels rise and lower to create a “boat elevator” for boats and even kayaks passing between freshwater lakes and the salt water of Puget Sound2.
- Kenmore Air: If you want to get a better look at the city, the views from Kenmore Air’s Seattle Scenic Seaplane Tour are unbeatable2. Board the floatplane at Lake Union for an exhilarating takeoff, leisure flight, and gentle landing back on the water.
- Museum of History and Industry: Known as MOHAI, this museum on the shores of Lake Union encapsulates what Seattle is all about, with a focus on the city’s history and innovation2.
- Boat Tours and Cruises: There are many boat tours and cruises available in Seattle, including relaxing cruises, cocktail cruises, whale-watching tours, and more4.
- Boating Opportunities: Lake Washington is a popular destination for boaters, with many opportunities for water sports, fishing, and cruising56.
- Hiking and Outdoor Activities: The Pacific Northwest is known for its natural beauty and outdoor activities, and there are many hiking trails and parks to explore in the Seattle area1.
- Dining and Nightlife: Seattle is known for its vibrant dining and nightlife scene, with many restaurants, bars, and clubs to choose from1.
Overall, traveling by boat from Elliot Bay to and around Lake Washington offers a unique and enjoyable experience for visitors, with many opportunities to explore the natural beauty, history, and culture of the Pacific Northwest.
Is the glass studio near Ivar’s open to the public? What is the history of Ivars Salmon House? What Wild Caught Salmon are served there? What is Pacific raised Salmon?
Yes, the glass studio near Ivar’s Salmon House is open to the public. It is called the Seattle Glassblowing Studio and is located just a few blocks from Ivar’s Salmon House1.Visitors can watch glassblowers at work, take classes, and purchase handmade glass art1.
Ivar’s Salmon House is a popular seafood restaurant located in Seattle, Washington2. It was founded by Ivar Haglund, a local legend who was known for his quirky personality and love of seafood2. The restaurant has been a landmark on the north end of Lake Union since the mid-1960s and occupies the site of a former Indian longhouse3.
Ivar’s Salmon House serves a variety of wild-caught salmon, including sockeye, coho, and king salmon2. The restaurant also offers Pacific-raised salmon, which is farm-raised salmon (but not Atlantic Salmon) that is sustainably raised in the Pacific Northwest2.
Overall, Ivar’s Salmon House is a popular destination for seafood lovers, with a rich history and a variety of wild-caught and Pacific-raised salmon options. The nearby Seattle Glassblowing Studio offers a unique and creative experience for visitors.
Is Bill Gates’ house on lake Washington? How do you boat to it? Do the sea hawks have a training camp on lake Washington?
Yes, Bill Gates’ house is located on Lake Washington in Medina, Washington135. The house is built into the side of a hill overlooking the lake and is one of the most famous and awe-inspiring estates in the Seattle area35.
Boating to Bill Gates’ house is not recommended, as it is a private residence and boaters should respect the privacy of the residents1. However, a tour boat regularly cruises by it as it is a popular spot to see for the paying customers.
Regarding the Seattle Seahawks, they do not have a training camp on Lake Washington. The team’s training camp is held at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center in Renton, Washington, which is located about 10 miles south of Lake Washington16.Overall, while Bill Gates’ house is located on Lake Washington, boaters should respect the privacy of the residents and not attempt to boat to the property. The Seattle Seahawks do not have a training camp on Lake Washington, and their training facility is located in Renton, Washington.
Can you bike around Lake Washington? Is Washington street closed to automobiles on the week ends for biking?
Yes, you can bike around Lake Washington. A scenic 3-mile stretch of Lake Washington Boulevard between Mount Baker Beach and Seward Park is closed to motorized vehicles on many weekends during the summer123456. This closure allows pedestrians, cyclists, and other non-motorized users to enjoy the road and the beautiful views of the lake146. The closure is part of the “Bicycle Weekends” program, which temporarily designates the lakefront street for non-motorized activities6.
It is important to note that the closure of Lake Washington Boulevard to cars on weekends is a temporary program and the schedule may vary from year to year. Visitors should check the Seattle Parks and Recreation website or other official sources for the most up-to-date information on the schedule and any changes to the program3.
Overall, biking around Lake Washington on the designated weekends provides a great opportunity to enjoy the scenic beauty of the area and engage in outdoor activities in a car-free environment.
Where can you rent Kayaks and paddle boards and electric hot tub boats in Seattle?
In Seattle, there are several places where you can rent kayaks, paddleboards, and electric hot tub boats. Here are some options:
- Northwest Outdoor Center: Located on Lake Union, they offer kayak rentals starting at $18 an hour and paddleboard rentals for $20 an hour2.
- Docklyne: They offer kayak and paddleboard rentals from beautiful Portage Bay, allowing you to explore Seattle’s diverse houseboat community3.
- Moss Bay: They provide kayak, paddleboard, and sailboat rentals on Lake Union6.
- Seattle Donut Boat: This unique rental option allows you to rent a circular, electric-powered boat that resembles a floating donut. It’s a fun and memorable way to explore the waterways of Seattle6.
- Hot Tub Boats: If you’re looking for a truly unique experience, you can rent a hot tub boat in Seattle. These boats come equipped with a hot tub on board, allowing you to relax and enjoy the water while soaking in a hot tub15.
These are just a few options for renting kayaks, paddleboards, and electric hot tub boats in Seattle. Each rental provider may have different pricing, availability, and capacity, so it’s recommended to check their websites or contact them directly for more information and to make reservations.
What street takes you across the University Bridge? What craft breweries are accessible on a cruise from Elliot Bay to Lake Washington? What pubs can be visited by boat on Lake Washington?
The University Bridge is indeed located in the University District of Seattle3. It spans across the Lake Washington Ship Canal, connecting the University District to the Montlake neighborhood. The bridge can be accessed via Eastlake Avenue E3.Craft breweries accessible on a cruise from Elliot Bay to Lake Washington:
- Floating Bridge Brewing: Located in the University District, this brewery offers a variety of craft beers and a cozy taproom1.
- Big Time Brewery & Alehouse: Situated near the University of Washington, this long-standing brewery serves a range of house-brewed beers1.
- Fremont Brewing Company: On the route from Elliot Bay to Lake Washington, Fremont Brewing Company is a popular craft brewery located in the Fremont neighborhood, known for its diverse selection of beers1. I have yet to figure out how to visit it by boat but this should be possible. In any case it is on the Burke Gilman bike trail.
Pubs that can be visited by boat on Lake Washington:
- Daniel’s Broiler – Leschi: This waterfront steakhouse in the Leschi neighborhood offers stunning views of Lake Washington and a selection of fine wines and cocktails1.
- Beach Café at Carillon Point: Located in Kirkland, this waterfront café offers a relaxed atmosphere, outdoor seating, and a variety of food and drink options1.
- Water’s Table: Situated in Renton, Water’s Table is a lakeside restaurant with Asian-inspired cuisine and panoramic views of Lake Washington1.
These are just a few examples of craft breweries and pubs accessible by boat on a journey from Elliot Bay to Lake Washington. It’s always a good idea to check the operating hours and availability of these establishments before planning a visit.
Here is information available about beer can races in Elliott Bay. Beer can race after parties at the Seattle Yacht Club’s Elliott Bay Outstation are not uncommon. Here are the details:
- The Downtown Sailing Series organizes weekly races in Elliott Bay during the summer months345. These races are open to anyone with a sailboat, and participants can show up to join the racing5. The races typically start at 7 p.m. on Thursdays5.
Seattle Yacht Club and beer can races:
- The Seattle Yacht Club is a private club that welcomes reciprocal guests for dining and moorage2.
- The club may organize social events or gatherings for its members and guests at the Elliot Bay Outstation after the races.
Please note that the availability and details of beer can races and related events may vary from year to year, so it’s advisable to check with the relevant organizers for the most up-to-date information. It is interesting to know that the Seattle Yacht Club doubled its membership by merging under the Seattle Yacht Club name with the Elliot Bay Yacht Club burgee becoming the Seattle Yacht Club burgee.
Provide a History of the City of Seattle. What Noteworthy Businesses were started in Seattle? How many coffee shops are in Seattle? What Beer is favored in Seattle?
History of Seattle:
- Seattle was founded in 1851 and named after Chief Seattle of the Duwamish and Suquamish tribes2.
- The city grew rapidly during the late 19th century due to its strategic location for trade and transportation, particularly during the Klondike Gold Rush2.
- In 1892 the Seattle Yacht Club formally, officially began with 194 members. Newspapers accounts referred to the “Seattle Yacht Club” as early as 1879.
- In the early 20th century, Seattle became a major center for timber, shipping, and manufacturing industries2.
- Noteworthy businesses that started in Seattle include Starbucks, which was founded in 1971 in Pike Place Market4. Other notable companies include Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, Nordstrom, and Costco2.
Coffee in Seattle:
- Seattle is known as the coffee capital of the USA and is regarded as a world center for coffee roasting and supply chain management4.
- The city has a prominent coffee culture, with numerous coffeehouses and a high consumption of coffee4.
- Notable coffee companies that originated in Seattle include Starbucks, Tully’s, and Seattle’s Best2.
Number of coffee shops in Seattle:
- Seattle has a thriving coffee scene, with nearly 300 coffee shops in the city3.
Beer in Seattle:
- Seattle has a vibrant beer culture, with a wide variety of craft breweries and taprooms1.
- The city is known for its independent breweries and offers a diverse range of beer styles, including German lagers, Belgian ales, New England IPAs, and more1.
- Seattle has the most number of independent breweries in the country1.
These are just a few highlights of the history of Seattle, its coffee culture, the number of coffee shops, and the beer scene in the city. Seattle’s rich history, thriving coffee culture, and diverse craft beer offerings make it an exciting destination for locals and visitors alike.
What is the definition of a beer garden? Does the Fremont Brewery have the best beer garden in the USA? What is a Radler? Does the Fremont brewery beer garden serve Radlers?
A beer garden is an outdoor area where beer and other alcoholic beverages are served. It is typically a communal space with tables and seating, often surrounded by greenery or other natural elements. Beer gardens are popular in many countries, particularly in Europe, and are often associated with socializing, relaxation, and enjoyment of the outdoors. In Europe it is unusual for a beer garden to require that food consumed in the garden come only from the establishment maintaining the garden.
While the Fremont Brewery’s Urban Beer Garden™ is highly regarded and popular among locals and visitors, it is subjective to say whether it is the best beer garden in the USA. Nonetheless, I have visited perhaps 100 USA beer gardens and this is the best found. Of course
The Fremont Brewery’s Urban Beer Garden™ is known for its spacious and lush outdoor area, energetic atmosphere, and a variety of beer and cider options16. It is also known to be a favorite stop on the Burke Gillman bike trail. Here cyclists enjoy Radlers.
A Radler is a type of beer cocktail that originated in Germany. It is made by mixing beer with lemonade or other citrus-based soda, resulting in a refreshing and low-alcohol beverage5. Rad is bicycle in German.
The Fremont Brewery’s Urban Beer Garden™ serves a variety of beers (including Radlers) and ciders on tap, including year-round favorites, specialty and seasonal beers, and Urban Beer Garden™ only selections6. While there is no specific information indicating whether they serve Radlers, visitors can check the brewery’s website or contact them directly for more information on their current offerings.
According to the Fremont Brewing website and Seattle Met, visitors are allowed to bring their own food to the Fremont Brewery’s Urban Beer Garden™12. The brewery also encourages visitors to support the local community by ordering food from nearby restaurants2.
The difference between a craft brewery and a beer garden is not solely the ability to bring food from the outside. A craft brewery is a facility that produces beer on a small scale, often using traditional brewing methods and high-quality ingredients3. SA beer garden, on the other hand, is an outdoor area where beer and other alcoholic beverages are served4.
While most beer gardens allow visitors to bring their own food, unfortunately this is not the defining characteristic of a USA beer garden. It should be. Seattle sets the standard.
Is Seattle the best city for bikers? Is Seattle the home of Rad Bikes sold all over the world?
Seattle is often considered one of the best cities for bikers due to its extensive network of bike lanes, trails, and paths1. The city has invested in bike infrastructure, making it easier and safer for cyclists to navigate the city1. Seattle also has a strong biking culture, with many events and activities for cyclists throughout the year1.Rad Power Bikes is a company that produces electric bikes and is headquartered in Seattle1456. While the company is known for its electric bikes, it is not accurate to say that Seattle is the home of Rad Power Bikes sold all over the world. The company has expanded its operations and has locations in several countries, including Canada, Europe, and Australia1.
Seattle, a city of wonder,
With so much to see and ponder. From boat tours to coffee shops, And beer gardens that never stop.
Take a cruise of Seattle’s Elliot bay, Or ride a ferry to nearby bays. Watch the Ballard Locks in action, And enjoy the botanical garden attraction.
Seattle’s coffee scene is thriving,
With nearly 300 shops and no sign of declining. From solid cups of joe to specialty drinks,
Seattle’s coffee culture is what makes it distinct.
For bikers, Seattle is a dream,
With bike lanes and trails that gleam. Take a lakeside beer tour on a bike, And enjoy Seattle’s favorite green plant hike.
Seattle’s beer culture is as varied as its residents, From German lagers to fruity stouts, it’s evident. Visit the Ballard and Pike Place Market neighborhoods, Or dive into the Capitol Hill and SoDo taprooms for some goods.
Fremont Brewing’s massive beer garden is a must-see, With a spacious outdoor area that’s free. Bring your own food or pack a picnic, And enjoy the energetic atmosphere that’s terrific.
Seattle, a city of endless possibilities, With so much to offer, it’s hard to leave with ease. From boat tours to coffee shops and beer gardens, Seattle is a city that never stops giving.