Moving Domain, Name Server Changes, Hardware Upgrade

I am moving domain to a new registry. I have some issues doing this in that my name servers are in the same domain presently. This is problematic as it creates a circular resolution problem where to resolve a name server address here, say, you first need to access the name server to get the IP address of but since you don’t yet have the IP address you can’t get it.

This is presently resolved by the use of glue records. These are records maintained in the upstream name servers that resolve our name servers to physical IP addresses to get around this circular resolution problem. And in the beginning there was only one registry, Network Solutions, so this was okay but today there are multiple and Network Solutions will eliminate the glue records the instant they release the domain but the new registry might take several days to get it in their database during which time we have no glue records.

This is no good, so what I have done is placed a DNS server in another domain which I own,, and it will be one of’s name servers, however’s website for changing the DNS records is not working so I have to wait for their team to change it for me. So we are holding off moving the domain, this may happen this weekend or next depending upon their timing. Anyway wanted to make you aware of that potential interruption.

In addition, I am going to setup a name server on my machine off the cable modem so that in the event of a network interruption,’s mail servers will still resolve.  This will cause sending sites to queue and resend the mail rather than bouncing it so that in the event of a future network interruption, e-mail will not be lost or bounced, only delayed for the period of the outage.

Another potential interruption is that I am going to be replacing the CPU on the new web server, currently an I9-10900x which is 10 cores, to a I9-10980xe which is 18 cores, upgrading the CPU cooler fan from one that maxes at 1500 RPM to one that maxes at 3000 RPM to help dissipate the huge amount of heat these CPUs generate, and I’m replacing the RAM which is currently 8x32GB sticks with 4x64GB sticks, and the reason for this is that this CPU has difficulty driving two sticks per channel, just not enough drive current requiring that I slow memory down, but to feed 18 cores I want this memory I/O to be as fast as possible.  Right now only social media is on this machine but eventually I will be moving all web services to it.

So probably next weekend there will be a period where this site is down for that hardware upgrade, but the end result should be faster performance.